Thursday, October 22, 2009

6 month appointment and a vent

We had Colin's 6 month appointment today. Here's how he measures up:

Weight: 18 lbs, 3 oz puts him in the 75th percentile
Height: 27 7/8 inches puts him in the 90th percentile
Head circumference: 50th percentile
Technically, Colin outgrows his carseat when he reaches 29 inches, so according to growth charts, that's when he's about 7 months old. We're going to give the Britax a try this weekend and see how it goes.

The highlight of the appointment was when Dr. R asked, "What kind of formula are you using?" and I proudly said, "None!" I think it was at that point that Kevin realized how big of a feat it is to go 6 months without using formula. Dr. R. was quite impressed as well.

We talked about how he doesn't have an ear infection (daycare thought he did when I dropped him off this morning...they need to stop diagnosing my kid every day, thankyouverymuch). We talked about his possible oatmeal and sulfa allergies, veggies and fruits, and my thoughts of buying an otoscope (the ear looker-inner doctors use) from WallyWorld to check his ears if I need to (to prove daycare wrong OR to know I'm using my time and money wisely going to the doctor).

He checked out healthy and got his DTaP, Hep B, and rotavirus vaccinations, and we were good to go! Aside from an appointment to get his next batch of shots, his next appointment isn't until 9 months.

And now I'll revert back to the daycare bit...all in all I'm happy with the care there. BUT. Lordy are they tattle-talers. Granted, it's their job and I want to know if something isn't right. But just because something is different doesn't mean Colin is sick. Case in point: Up until a few days ago, Colin was drinking somewhere around 18-22 oz of milk at daycare. Yesterday he drank 14 oz, and today he only drank 9 oz. Yes...of course that is a drastic difference. Thank you for bringing it to my attention (as if I didn't notice). But no...he doesn't have an ear infection. He has a cold. He may be teething. Stop playing doctor and make me worry all day long about how much he's eating or that he might be sick again. Because that's what I did all day long today. Maybe they need an otoscope there so they can get off my case.

One last bit. We've done a little Ferberizing, as opposed to Fockerizing ;), this week, and I'm so happy to say that Colin is falling asleep on his own in his crib now after a little bit of crying/soothing. Every night the crying gets less and less. I thought it was kind of cute this morning when I went to peek at him, and he was sleeping on his belly in the corner of his crib facing the opposite way we lay him down.

Okay...I'm done. Bedtime!

No comments: