Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Triathlon Rundown

Here's the rundown of the Root River Triathlon day-of-fun on Saturday:

I woke up at 4:40 before my 4:45 alarm. Steph, my friend/partner picked me up at 5:15 with 2 of her male co-workers. We drove an hour to the town we were racing in. We checked in, dropped off our bikes, dropped off our canoe, and waited and strategized until 8:10 when it was instructions time. Our canoe heat was #5 out of 16. We paddled away from the shore at 8:50. (We're the girls in blue below)

We canoed 6 miles and it took us about 1 hour and 14 minutes. We had a heavy aluminum canoe, and us 2 girls were racing against 2-man/mixed teams in Kevlar canoes. Not fair ;) We got out of our canoes and transitioned into biking.

We biked 8 miles--2 small hills and 1 humongous hill. I am so proud of myself for pedaling all the way up that monster. I learned a lesson about torque that night from Kevin. Apparently I wasn't using full advantage of my bike's gears. Good to know 12 hours too late. Biking took us 35 minutes. (We're both on the left)

Next up was a relatively short 3 mile run, at least compared to 6.5 and 8 miles. I ran my well with a time of 26:45 which means I ran 1 mile in 8:55.

Our total time was 2:29:57. We didn't know our transition times counted, or we would have been quicker about putting our shoes on and whatnot.

I finished 103rd for women and 33rd for my age group.

I'm so happy to have had an awesome partner and friend to do the triathlon with. There were a few times Steph had to wait for me (like on top of that monster hill), so I hope I didn't slow her down too much ;)

I was a little sore the rest of the day and on Sunday, but I'm doing fine now. I'm so happy that now I can be LAZY!!!!!!! And maybe run a little here and there when I want.

Would I do it again? Yes. But hopefully I'll be able to bike train a little more next time around. The weather was too cold/rainy this year to do that. And although Steph and I kept up with the other women/women canoe teams very well and we're proud of our accomplishment, the mixed teams sure were moving a lot faster on the river!

1 comment:

Laura said...

Congrats you two, what an AWESOME accomplishment!! So proud of you girls :)