Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gazelle Intensity

Kevin and I are big fans of Dave Ramsey. We "graduated" from Financial Peace University two years ago and we're halfway done with paying off our credit card debt. One thing Dave talks about in FPU is living with Gazelle Intensity to pay off debt. Get a part time job, cut your budget down to barebones, things like that.

We've cut our budget down to barebones. We don't set aside any money for entertainment. We don't splurge. We don't eat out (very often). We basically buy groceries, paper/personal products, and clothes and essentials here and there for the boys. That's it.

I teach piano lessons (I'm up to 11 kids which adds up to 2 1/2 hours per week). That's like my part time job.

I told you about my summer school mishap. Well, my principal told me she should have a spot for me the second 3 weeks of summer school. I'd prefer to do the first 3 weeks, but at this point I'll take whatever. This morning the other summer school coordinator approached me and asked if I was available for the first 3 weeks in case she needs me to be a second teacher for some of the fuller classes. It might not even be the full 4 hours of time. Just an hour or two.

And with that, I have this dilemma....
1. I want to, need to spend time with the boys this summer. I've done 6 weeks of summer school the past 5 years. By the time it's over, summer is practically gone. I'll never, ever regret time I spend with the boys. And they're only going to be this little for so long.

2. Entertaining 2 kids for an entire day is hard work. I might need the break.

3. One of the best things about summer is hanging out with friends and their children. If I'm working, when will I be able to do this? Our beach and park visits will be limited to afternoons.

4. But then there's the money. If I just suck it up and work as much as I can this summer, I can cut back next summer. Our credit cards will be paid off by June 2014. My summer school money could potentially go straight towards it and change it to May 2014. Maybe even April :).

I feel so uneasy about working so much this summer. But then I remember I'm blessed that not working for 2 months is even an OPTION for me. And I remember that by paying off debt, we're giving our kids a better life (not with stuff, but with financial peace).

I'm just going to roll with it and see what happens. I feel like if I have the opportunity to make money, I should take it.

And, if you're wondering, no we haven't found a "subleaser" for our daycare spot yet.

No comments: