Saturday, June 30, 2012

Technology: A Personal Struggle

I'm not talking about how I don't know how to run technology. For the most part, with some time, I can figure it out.

I'm talking about using it too much. All the time, and especially as a teacher, I see kids neglected because their parents are always plugged in. Furthermore, kids see their parents plugged in and believe they should be, too. I'm not talking about the occasional iPad use or watching TV or checking your email. But because it's so convenient, some people (me included w/my laptop) feel the need to "check" stuff all the time. On a daily basis when I'm home with the boys just hanging out, I admit to checking facebook, email, my blog (wondering if anybody commented or if someone else updated their blog), the freaking TEMPERATURE for Heaven's Sake, even though as I sit here on the couch I can see the thermometer on the side of the house says 88 degrees. I check these often. Too often. I don't want to be that parent.

I need to find a place to put this goshbedarned laptop. Somewhere inconvenient. Back when I had a desktop,  it wasn't convenient. I spent more time with Colin playing than I do with Ben. Because now I can sit on my butt on the couch while he plays on the floor. And that makes me sad. But I can fix that!

So...if you need to reach me via computer, I can only be reached at nap time and after the boys have gone to bed.

I'm busy reffing wrestling matches

and making sure Ben's not eating grass and talking about bugs with Colin

 and being a lifeguard.

2 comments:

stephie said...

You go girl! You are such a good momma. Tommy is totally sucked into video games and his iPod. And I let him play because I don't know what else to do with him. Especially now out here. He won't go to the pool anymore since he belly flopped the first time he went. Bball camps already started. Idk... He plays with friends online so I guess at least he isn't completely alone all the time? You are doing the right thing. Love you...miss you.

leah @maritalbless said...

So there.