Thursday, June 14, 2012

Doctor's Appointment

Both Ben AND Colin had a pediatrician appointment today. It went well. Like I've said before, I really like our new pediatrician. However, while Colin's former pediatrician never had much to say or much advice, Dr. C. has a lot of it that I'm not quite sure I like :) Where's the happy medium!? Read on to find out why.

Colin was his usual self: Watch, play, listen, and a minute later, participate. He had to change into a gown for the first time ever and I was surprised that he actual did! He even said, "I like this! I like coming to this doctor!" Oh little man, you will grow to hate the gown after the Looney Tunes aren't printed on it anymore. When Dr. C. asked Colin for a high five and Colin didn't give him one, and when he didn't really talk much to him, I said that that's the way he is. I went on to say that I was going to sign him up for some sort of a class this summer--one where there's no parental involvement. I want him to get used to new situations and just be able to jump into them by himself, whether he does it enthusiastically I don't care. Dr. C said, "You know, with adults, we'd classify the same behavior as an Anxiety Disorder. But with kids we let them go and expect them to just deal with it." Uh...he may have anxiety, but I don't think it's "disorder" caliber. Andplusalso, I'm learning how to make transitions easier on him and what I do works just fine! By the middle of the appointment, Colin was comfortable with him. So I take what he says with a grain of salt. He also said that Colin's belly button is herniated (something the old pediatrician never mentioned). I mean, I knew he had an outie, but didn't know it was herniated.  Also, he said his voice sounds raspy. Could be viral, could be from being a noisy boy, could be because of polyps on his vocal chords. Both things we need to "keep an eye on" for possible future procedures.

Colin's stats:
Weight: 37 lbs = 80 %ile
Height: 3'2" (38") = 54 %ile

Ben was complimented on again by his chunkaliciousness. We talked about solids and sleeping and all the usual baby stuff. I asked about his slightly flat head, and Dr. C. said that now that he's sitting up more, he's sure it will round out. His weight is following the growth curve like it should (although he's still above it), meaning his growth has slowed down some. Thank goodness :)

Ben's stats:
Weight: 27 lbs, 11 oz = 100+ %ile
Height: 26.5" = 51 %ile
Head: 18" = 98 %ile

So it was a good appointment. I just need to remember that what a pediatrician says is just advice and ultimately we get to make the decisions 'round these parts!

1 comment:

stephie said...

Enjoy your summer with the boys AJ! Thanks for sharing these photos...it's being able to stay connected with them and you...especially so far away now. *tear* Love you all!!