Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Preschool Woes

I had this vision that Colin would go to preschool in the district I teach in (Somerset). I'd drop him off at Sandy's house in the morning and then he'd go to school with his buddy Rece from daycare in the afternoon. I started talking to him about where "his school" was and how he'd be going there with Rece. He was finally getting excited. We open enrolled him. I thought we were a shoe-in. We got denied. All 81 applicants got denied. The superintendent is not likely to change his mind. Apparently there's not enough space for us. Way to go me, counting my chickens before they're hatched.

I'm super sad about it. I don't want him going to school in New Richmond. The district just doesn't impress me. I think back to my days as a substitute teacher and when I worked at the teen center at the Y and how I wasn't impressed. I'm not impressed that we weren't sent any information about registering for preschool. I'm not impressed that we weren't sent any information about early childhood screening. There's just so much that gets me fired up about it.

I will fill out the papers to appeal, hoping it works.
I've got the principal on my side, who says he doesn't understand why. He said there were only 3 preschool applicants. He said he'd talk to the superintendent and see what he can do.
I asked Kevin to talk to a friend/co-worker/"boss"-type person, who is also the school board president to ask him what we can do.

Just in case those don't work, we need alternative plans.
1) He doesn't go to preschool. He stays at Sandy's full time. Not a fan--I want him to have a nice transition year before he goes to kindergarten all day.
2) He goes to preschool in New Richmond at our church. I really want him to go to Sandy's for the other half of the day though, so I'm not sure how we'd figure out transportation there. It's a 30 minute round-trip gig every day.
3) Sell the house this summer (if even possible. Good lord...we'd have to get on that like, yesterday) and find a place to rent in Somerset, then save money for a down payment on a house.

Sucks when a vision disintegrates at your feet. Sucks. :(

No comments: