Sunday, September 12, 2010

6 days left

That's when the big 5K happens. Yikes.

I ran for 25 minutes straight on Friday night. The whole time, I kept thinking, "I can't stop running. I want to be able to say I ran the entire way." ::repeat over and over again:: And apparently it worked. And I didn't die. And I was able to walk afterward. And breathe.

Later that evening, I drove the route I ran and figured it to be about 3 miles. So, with the 5 minutes of "brisk walking" in the beginning plus the 25 minutes I ran, that's a total of 30 minutes. 30 min divided by 3 miles = 10 minute miles. Yesss!

Before Friday, I thought maybe I'd skip today's scheduled "easy" day and move on to the next day to keep the pace up. But I knew yesterday that I'd better go with an "easy" run. I'm so glad I did.

I just finished week 6, day 1 of the c25k running plan, and I figure on Saturday I'll be on week 7, day 1 which so happens to be running 25 minutes without stopping. So running the 5K should be about perfect for that day's run. From there, I'll finish the 9 week program (which works up to running a straight 28 minutes and then 30 minutes).

Then the world is my running oyster. I just have to figure out how I'm going to run in the winter, not having a treadmill or a gym membership (and not planning on getting either).

3 comments:

stephie said...

Way to go AJ! I'm so proud of you!! Want to run a 10k with me on Halloween? Love ya!

grandma J said...

You will do great, wish I could be there to watch you run.

AJ said...

omg steph...I won't be ready for a 10K on Halloween! I want to get a few 5Ks under my belt first. I'm also probably going to run a 5K in town on 9/25. Do you run any 10Ks in the spring? That's more of a do-able timeline for me :) Or my brother mentioned one in Feb. in Roch.