Monday, November 29, 2010

A promise

*This is prompted by an episode of "Datetime20/20" (not sure of the television newsmagazine) I saw about 6 weeks ago*

Dear Colin,

I promise to not use my cell phone to gab (or text--eep!) while I'm driving. Very rarely I have to call Daddy really quickly to ask him a 30-second question that just can't wait. But I will not call my girlfriends to chat or text anyone when I'm behind the wheel. No conversation is worth risking our lives for.

I am a cautious driver, but I know that the distraction of a cell phone diverts my attention to the conversation and off the road. Even hands-free is distracting, so I won't go there either.

I am an example for you. Even though you won't be driving for another 15 years, you are watching my every move. Because I want you to be an attentive driver when that time comes, I will show you what one looks like.

I love talking to my girlfriends, but I love even more to hear your sweet little voice after a long day at work. Even though I hear hundreds of little voices in the 9 hours I am away from you, yours is undoubtedly, obviously, my favorite. I can always chat with my friends and family when we're home, safe and sound, with our feet on the ground.

I know I can keep this promise because I've already done it for over a month. It was hard that first week, but now it's just the way it is. I don't want to get us into a car accident and have the worst happen and make Daddy and all our family and friends be all alone without us.

This I promise you, Colin.

Love,
Mommy
*Picture taken in July from the passenger's seat when we were stopped at a gas station while Kev was pumping gas; not while I was driving ;)*

No comments: