Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Back to the ol' grindstone

I went back to work yesterday. I was ready to get back into a routine, after falling into a pit of laziness. Towards the end of maternity leave, my days looked a lot like this:
  • Wake up, shower, get dressed.
  • Take Colin to daycare (unless we have a playdate, then he stays home)
  • Come back home, sit on couch
  • Get on computer, refresh facebook every 5 minutes.
  • Get disappointed when people aren't posting anything on their facebook walls
  • Realize that's because everyone else is working
  • Eat lunch
  • Refresh facebook some more
  • "Window shop" online
  • Refresh facebook some more
  • Make documents in Word, like my shopping list document that is laid out using the Aldi floor plan
  • 3:00. Go pick up Colin.
*Nursing/caring for Ben interspersed throughout the day, of course.
**An occasional trip to Aldi/Target/Walmart once or twice a week.

I needed some routine in my life.

Monday morning, we left the house on time. Drop off went incredibly well. I didn't cry. It's different when:
  • It's your second kid, and your oldest is there to watch over your littlest
  • You know your daycare provider
  • Your kid has hung out with your daycare provider
  • You're only 5 minutes away
  • You have 3 months of work until summer and you're off

I unlocked my door and walked into my quiet classroom and immediately felt overwhelmed because

  • I wasn't sure what routines were still in place, and which ones had been changed
  • I didn't know what to teach
  • Although I know it's my classroom, it didn't feel like "my" classroom.

The day went well. I felt the love from my kids. My long term sub stuck around for 2 "reverse shadow" days so I could slowly get back into it. That was awesome. I became reacquainted with my "stuff" and my space. I got a chance to establish my pumping schedule.

I left school as soon as I was contractually able. I picked up the boys and Sandy told me Ben had a great day. He drank his milk without issue. He slept for an hour and a half, with some catnaps thrown in (he usually sleeps a lot more than that, but it's ok).

We went home. Ben was asleep for the night by 8:30 (usually it's more like 9:30). He did wake up last night, but still just once, and woke up for the day at 6:30, which is when he has to wake up anyway.


Today was good too. I felt more comfortable with my students. I have a list of things I need to do to get my kids back to where I expect them to be. I have 3 days before spring break to get some footing.

Ben did well at daycare today. The kids went outside twice today since it was so nice out. He took a 3 hr nap and some catnaps, which is more typical of him. He didn't drink a lot of milk, but when we got home he drank a 6 oz bottle and nursed, so I'm sure he's fine. We went for a walk tonight and he seemed happy but tired. He fell asleep at 7 pm, and almost 2 hrs later he's still sleeping. I'm sure he's just overdosed on fresh air and vitamin D :)

So yeah...back in the game. Feeling good. Feeling motivated. Although I am counting down to summer. 58 days to go, and it's going to go quickly!

2 comments:

stephie said...

Glad to hear your first two days went so well! I hope you have a great spring break too! Love ya.

leah @maritalbless said...

SO glad it went well! Don't you love the perspective of the 2nd child?