Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The last two weeks in a nutshell the size of Texas

I'm sorry I haven't been a very good blogger lately. My reason, which I shamefully admit, is Farmville. I got obsessed with becoming a master grape and soybean farmer, and the amount of time it took to do that ate into my blogging time. Now I'm mastering pineapples, which take 2 days to grow, so I really only have to farm every other day which is a happy medium for me. Call me a nerdycake, it's okay.

Since I have so much to update you on, I'll keep it as short as possible. So much happened in 2 weeks, though! I can't make any guarantees.

Sleeping--Colin's bad habit of waking up hungry 1-2 times a night has returned. For the past 2 weeks, we've struggled with this. Tonight before he went to bed, he drank 8 oz of milk (as opposed to me just nursing him=who knows how much he was drinking, but probably about 3-4 oz), so hopefully that will satisfy him until 6 am. If it does, you can bet your buttons he'll be drinking 8 oz every night. Colin has even napped in his crib at home a few more times!

Eating--We started 2nd foods, which includes yummy combinations. I admit to tasting them. If I were on a desert island and the only food available were Apples with Summer Peaches, I wouldn't be sad. Colin's also really loving apples in his mesh feeder. He sucks the juice right out of the apple pieces and bops his little body around happily as he does so. Tonight I gave him a pear, but it wasn't very juicy.

Pooping--Ha! I thought I was kidding when I thought...hm...what topic is next...sleeping, eating,...hmm...oh yes. Pooping. I'll keep it clean by saying now that solid foods = solid poos, our cloth diapering experience has changed. Now we have to rinse out the diapers before we wash them. It's not so bad.

Thanksgiving--We went to Rochester to visit my parents. We had Thanksgiving dinner at my Grandma's house.
  • On Friday, my mom and I went shopping for the family we "adopted" from the Salvation Army. My mom, dad, my dad's siblings, my grandma, my bro, and of course Kev and I pitched in some money. We went to Kohl's, spent $200 on winter coats, boots, baby/kids' clothes, books, etc. Then we got $40 in Kohl's cash that my mom spent on Monday on a backpack and some other miscellaneous things. We also got a Kohl's gift card so the dad could buy shoes, and we bought some games and toys at Target. I hope the family has a great Christmas and enjoys the things we bought them. One of the kids is actually one of my first graders, so I hope he makes mention of it. He doesn't know we adopted his family.
  • We had a 2nd smaller Thanksgiving dinner at my aunt and uncle's house Friday night. I gave Colin the tiniest taste of mashed potatoes mixed with some baby food, and he gagged on it and spit the spoonful and then some back up. Better luck in another month or so!
  • We also hit up our favorite pizza joint, Mr. Pizza (we almost always eat lunch there when we're in town) for a slice of the day with Stephie, her husband, and my mom's friends.
  • Kevin and I did some Christmas shopping as well. We bought some books for Colin at Barnes and Noble and we're done shopping for my family members! We're on a tight budget this year, families, so remember...it's the thought that counts. We just have Kevin's family left to shop for.
  • We headed back home on Sunday morning, stopping at Inta Juice (the second place we always hit up) for a Fruit Flirtation on the way out of town. Colin was such a good rider. He slept almost the whole way home. We had about 20 minutes left, and he woke up in good spirits. He realized that his box of toys was on the seat next to him, so he pulled one out and kept himself busy for the last leg of the trip. Ahhh...the sweet sight of a little independence.
Scooting--We officially have a scooter! Colin can go forward, backward, and even spin in circles on the floor. Sometimes he's a grumpy scooter, sometimes he's a determined one. Sometimes he gets his butt up in the air and moves forward a little bit, but then plops his belly back down. Sometimes he looks like he's going to bear crawl. The boy is on the move. Watch out!

Standing--Today, for some entertainment while I was putting his clothes away, Kevin sat Colin in his mini laundry basket, and within 3 seconds, I kid you not, the boy was standing up in it. And he didn't get any help.

Bathtime--I was giving Colin a bath tonight, and the little dude was splashing so much I had to step back to avoid getting soaked! We're talking palms-flat-hitting-the-surface-of-the-water, losing-his-balance splashing. The water was splashing out of his tub. He was having so much fun! I remember when he was a little guy, about 1 month old, and how he was just starting to get used to baths, but wasn't interactive with the water at all, and how I told Kevin how excited I was for him to splash around in the water. That day has arrived.

Whew! I'm sorry I don't have any pictures. Actually, I might, but if I do, they're still on my camera. When I get a chance, I'll upload them.

Oh...and Kevin and I have decided to make the blog private starting Jan. 1. If you want to be "invited," you need to let me know. On Jan. 1 you won't be able to read if you're not on "the list." I do want you (yes YOU!) to feel welcome to read. I just don't want the random crazies (no, I don't mean you!) to infiltrate. So, if you're a reader, you're welcome in the elite AJ+Kev+BabyRain club. If you know my email, email me. If you know what PM means, PM me. If you know other ways of contacting me, please do so.

Thank you and good night. ;)

5 comments:

stephie said...

Do I even need to ask? He's getting so big AJ! I was so glad I got to see him...he's great!

The Skalas said...

AJ,

I would like to be added to the elite list of readers only! Please add me so I can keep up with little Colin! Thanks!

Kristin

AJ said...

Stephie and Kristin...no prob.

L-Dawg said...

LOL, stupid Farmville...takes up so much time but so addicting...I've been doing Cafe World lately, kinda the same concept but doesn't take nearly the amount of time, you should check it out!! :)

And please add me to your private blog too!

Anonymous said...

add me! dj