Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Baby's first puke

Ok now, everyone together....Awwww!

Yeah, not so much. Dude went to bed as prescribed by our bedtime routine. Albeit with a painful diaper rash, but otherwise normal. 9:45 rolls around, Kevin and I are in bed ready for a good night's slumber. We hear a strange sound coming from Colin's room. Something we haven't heard before. Then he starts crying a little bit. Kevin gets up to give Colin his nukkey (pacifier), and ends up turning on the light. There's puke everywhere. On Colin's pajamas, the sheet, the crib...

We undress him, wipe him down, put new pajamas on, take the sheet and mattress pad out of the crib, throw all the pukey stuff in the laundry, put new sheets on. Then I sat with him in the chair for a little while and he seemed to be fine. So I lay him down and start sneaking out of the room while he finds a comfortable sleeping position. I don't even get across the hallway when I hear retching. I whisk him out of the crib and get at least to the hallway where the floors are wood and easily cleanable. We go to the bathroom in case more is on its way. Poor baby is quiet, snuggly. His face says "what the hell is happening to me?" The sheets and pajamas are puked on again. Undress the baby, wipe him down, change the sheet, throw it in the laundry, put a new sheet on. Snuggle with baby without his pajamas on for awhile. This would make for easier clean up if it happens again. It doesn't. So put the clean pajamas on the exhausted baby. Sit with him in the chair. Baby goes to sleep. Put baby in crib. It is 11:00.

3:00 rolls around, and Colin's fussing. Kevin goes in to see if the pacifier will do. It won't. Colin's hungry. I tell Kevin I'm scared to nurse him in case he pukes again. We sit down, I nurse him. Some time later, he stops nursing and everything he just drank comes back up. All over him, all over me, all over. I rush him to the bathroom sink. He becomes a pro at puking over the sink. He's better. New pajamas. Change my own pajamas (luckily by this time it was just breastmilk and no food was involved). I sit with him in the chair for a little while and offer him a little bit of water from a bottle. He drinks a little, and it stays down. I put him back to bed at about 4:00.

4:30, he's crying again. Kevin's turn to sit with him.

Alarm clock goes off at 5:15. Today Kevin wanted to be out of the house at 6:00. Not happening! I pump, take a shower, and contemplate whether to keep sick dude home or send him to daycare. After Kevin takes a shower, I call my mom in a WWGD (what would grandma do?) moment. She says feed him some Puffs and give him some milk and see if it stays down. I do, and it does. To daycare we go.

We get there, and 2 of the "older" kids (they're still under 2 yrs, but they're in the same "class" and are usually on the "other" side of the "baby" room) are home sick with the pukes and the poops. And their parents are too. Hurray. Just what I need. This can NOT happen this week. While I'm there, a 3rd family calls in saying their munchkin won't be in. I fully expect a phone call later saying Colin has joined the ranks and needs to go home. In fact, I encouraged a phone call if anything was out of the ordinary. Grandma F is on stand by just in case.

I didn't get one. No pukes, no runny poops, no fever. He's a tired (read: crabby) man today, but other than that, he was fine.

I hope tonight is much more restful. And I'm glad we got pukey night #1 out of many out of the way. And even though he felt miserable and we were both exhausted, I loved the extra snuggliness of him, and I loved that he was playing with my hair while he was trying to get back to sleep.

Now everyone together....awwwww!

1 comment:

grandma J said...

Hope everyone is feeling better. I don't want to miss out on coming for a visit.