Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Can I vent? Thanks.

This morning, I dropped Colin off at daycare and found out that for about 6 weeks, they've been giving him whole milk in a sippy cup at breakfast and lunch time.

It was about that long ago that I asked them to give him his milk in a sippy cup. To me, for a then-10 month old, milk=breastmilk. You know, the stuff I bring every day for him to drink. NOT whole milk.

I am pissed off. If they thought I meant whole milk, they should have asked to clarify. AND...they just all of a sudden switched him. They didn't mix it with breastmilk or anything. Or if they did, they didn't ask what ratio I wanted (which would've sent up a huge red flag for me).

And the girl was so snotty about it. I said, "You've been giving him whole milk?" And she said, "We talked about this!" Uh...no, we did not. Because if we had, I wouldn't be questioning it. No apology whatsoever from her.

Needless to say, I was mad, but in so much shock I didn't know what to say. I told them that I have over 600 ounces frozen in the freezer, and I don't forsee starting whole milk any time soon. I said my usual, "It's okay...good thing he didn't have a reaction, at least I know he likely won't react to it in the future," but as soon as I got to my car, I bawled. My goal of having only breastmilk (and solids) in my baby's belly for his first year is crushed.

I called the director and told her. There's nothing she can do to fix it, because you can't take that time back. LUCKILY Colin didn't have a reaction to it. Imagine what that would be like...I take him to the pediatrician, she asks what he's drinking, and I proudly say he's only drinking breastmilk, not even KNOWING that he has been drinking whole milk this whole time.

I also called Colin's pediatrician. I don't even know why. I told her what happened, and said, "I guess my question is...uh...I guess I don't really have one." She reassured me that she understood, but he's fine, and what's done is done and we can go back to breastmilk and transition when we're really ready for it.

I am so excited to drop him off tomorrow. not. I've decided I'm not going to say a lot to them anymore. And the important stuff I'll write down so it doesn't get misinterpreted.

I really, really, really hope the in-home daycare we really, really, really want has that opening in August. We have the paperwork. It's just not a sign-sealed-delivered guarantee yet.

3 comments:

Laura said...

I'm so sorry, that is awful :( You are still the best mom in the world and Colin is so lucky to have you!!!

So were they dumping his milk then? What a waste because you obviously would have known something was up if they were giving it back to you and would have corrected it immediately.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the in-home place works out.

grandma J said...

You are the best Mommie, Laura is right, Colin is a very lucky little boy.

AJ said...

Laura, no they weren't dumping milk. I take whatever is left over on Friday...otherwise they "roll it over" from day to day. They just subbed whole milk for his meals. The amount of breastmilk he was getting wasn't super noticeably less than it was before this. Maybe a little, but I attributed it to him being full from eating more solids.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Laura and Mom :D