Friday, March 5, 2010

I'm a firefighter

These last few weeks at school have been draining! The kids have spent so much time together that they're becoming sibling-like and it's driving me batty! They whine, they tattle, they pick on each other. And here I am, fighting a bunch of little fires between friends.

First, there was K and A, a pair of seemingly sweet little girls. Well, K for the most part is. A is bossy sometimes (she's an only child), and that is not cool with K (who is sandwiched in between 2 brothers). So we had to resolve this issue, because K was scared to even come to school b/c of A's bossiness and sassiness and controlling ways. Luckily, K's mom works with me and could intervene as a mom and talk to A's mom about it. Yesterday, after K had moped around all day and stayed the bleep away from A, A took note of her mood. A approached me during silent reading time and said she needed some time to talk to K. She wanted to apologize. So I seized the opportunity, knowing THIS was the time. A was ready to admit her faults and listen to what K had to say. So they talked. And A listened for a change. And they were buddies for the afternoon. Then something happened at the end of the day again today, and K was mopey again. Ugh.

Then there's C, another seemingly innocent lass. Until you find out she's breaking pencils into tiny pieces. And before you find that out, she gives you a handful of broken pencil pieces and blames it on someone else. And that someone else says that SHE was doing it all along. This is the same C who has clawed or scratched 6 kids on the bus in the last 2 days. One of these kids got clawed AFTER I talked to C at length about the whole situation that very. same. day. She says that they're being mean to her--calling her names, bothering her--but ALL of them deny it. Who do I believe? Even her mom doesn't know who to believe any more.

Then there's J. My shortest little guy. He approached me this afternoon and matter-of-factly, without blinking an eye, said, "T called me a frickin' bitch. And a fib." WHAT? We're 6 and 7 years old, here, people! Where does a wee child find the know how or the courage to even SAY that! T's dad is a teacher at my school, so I told him about it. I also talked to T, who said J was telling kids not to sit by him or play with him. And, of course, J denies it. Meanwhile, T's telling his dad, "I swear he said that." Who to believe? (And regardless, 1st graders don't call each other frickin' bitches anyway).

And then there's the constant Class Clown Competition between H, X, B, C2and J2. Only it's not funny.

5 more days until spring break. We NEED it. We need it like a needle needs a vein, like my uncle Joe in Oklahoma needs the rain ($5 to the first person who can name that tune. And by $5, I mean $0).

It is in the times like these, I know 2 things for sure:
1. Colin will NOT be an only child. No offense to you only children out there.

2. THIS is why I'm so glad Colin is a boy. I can handle having 2 boys. If they're beating each other up, I can send them outside while I do the dishes or knit. 2 girls...no. The drama would KILL me.

Confession:
When I was pregnant with Colin, of course I told everyone I didn't care if I had a boy or a girl. But in reality, yeah...see #2 above.

::Sigh::

Painting therapy commences this weekend. My parents are coming up tomorrow morning to help supervise Colin/help us paint our living and dining room this color:
With accent walls this color:Yikes. Before and after pictures to come.

2 comments:

Laura said...

...I need you like a lighthouse on the coast...like the father and the son needs the holy ghost...I need you!

I Need You by the hottie Tim McGraw

Yay, I WIN! :)

AJ said...

Laura wins!