Monday, May 10, 2010

Twins Game

We celebrated Mothers Day by going to a Twins game with my parents (thanks Mom and Dad!). The new stadium is pretty sweet. It is humongous. It was FABULOUS. The food was good. The game was good (Twins win!). Colin even did a good job at his first spectator sport. Here's what he thought of it all:
Here are a few things I learned about Target Field that I thought a first-time game-goer might like to know.
1. They have family restrooms.
2. In the family restrooms, I noticed that on the mirror it said that nursing moms could contact guest services for a place to nurse their babies. Not that I needed to nurse, but good to know, right?
3. Bring at least $15 per person to eat. I'm not one on buying a whole lot of food at events. I got chicken tenders (they came with fries), and that was $7.50. I shared a waffle cone ($5) and a bottle of Aquafina ($4) with Kevin. Kevin got an $8 calzone.
4. Take the Light Rail. It was easy. The LRT station is right outside the field. We boarded at Ft. Snelling and it was about a 30 minute ride. We left the game at the top of the 9th with 1 out (b/c the Twins were winning 6-0), and we got on the 2nd train.
5. ::Warning--Vent:: Speaking of Light Rail, chivalry is dead. Here I was standing, holding a cranky 23 lb toddler, trying to keep my balance while not breaking my back. Of the 8 people who were sitting in the seats around us, 2 were elderly and the rest seemed like perfectly capable middle-aged couples. I kept trying to tell myself that maybe there was a reason they had to sit. Maybe one of them recently had back surgery or something. But I doubt all 6 of them. So Kevin and I passed Colin back and forth. By the 2nd to last stop, there was enough room that I could sit on the floor. The woman that occasionally piped in on the PA system would say, "Please let the elderly and disabled sit in the designated areas." I wanted to shout to her, "AND THE PEOPLE WITH SMALL CHILDREN!" Moving on...
6. Take note of where you're sitting and dress appropriately. Outdoor baseball has no climate control, people! If you're in the outfield, you're facing south, so it's likely you'll be in the sun. Everywhere else was pretty shaded. We were on the third baseline, and when we got there, we were warm in the sun. But by 1:30, the sun had gone over the stadium and we were chilly. People were wearing winter hats and blankets in our section. I almost hesitated to buy the ice cream. If we had been sitting in the sun, however, I would've felt like a bad mom for not bringing any sunscreen for the wee one. Just something to think about. This was our view from our seats. It looks high, and it was. But they were still pretty good seats. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything:
7. Sneak food in. At the Metrodome, they checked bags and purses. They didn't at Target Field. The people in front of us had all sorts of snacks. We brought in a huge diaper bag. We could've stuffed it full of goodies.
8. There's lots of space to move around on the concourse without feeling like you're missing the game. The game is even broadcast in the bathrooms.

Colin Morneau watching Daddy mow lawn while he waits until it's time to leave:
Getting out and about at the game:
My dad teasing Colin with his nukkie:

And in other news, Colin is cutting 2 teeth. Not his upper front teeth, but his upper side teeth. Please tell me my kid will not grow a snaggle tooth (teeth?).

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It looks like it was so much fun - what a nice way to spend Mother's Day!