Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Weaning has started

Last Thursday, my freezer stash reached the magic 500 oz. number. That was the number I said I'd start mixing whole milk with breast milk. So I did. We're going the organic whole milk route. We started with 4 oz of whole milk and 16 oz of breast milk. It goes to daycare with him in the morning, and then we bring home what's left, and it's the perfect amount to get us through dinner and bed time.

Tomorrow, and for the next week, the milk will be 8 oz of whole milk and 12 oz of breast milk. I'm taking it slowly because hello, I have 500 oz to get rid of, so I may as well, right?

I'm still pumping, but only twice a day at 6 am and 6 pm. Colin still usually nurses once a night. It's kind of annoying, but I'm okay with it because a) he's teething, and if he wants the comfort I'm going to give it to him and b) soon he'll realize it's not worth waking up for because there's not much there, so he may as well just keep sleeping. I'm a fan of self-weaning. Because he nurses at night, it means that my morning pump is almost worthless, but without it, I get worried, so I do it. I usually freeze what I pump in the evening, so I'm still adding to my stash just a little. And not because I feel I have to (because I don't), but because that's just what happens.

Random, non-breast related fun facts
  • Colin can now say dada, uh-oh, and hi.
  • He gives high fives and if you reach your finger towards him, he'll touch it with his finger. We call it E.T.
  • He went to his first Pampered Chef party tonight. He loved the dessert. He was a poster child of perfection. And he loved playing with the hostess' kids. The hostess was one of my co-workers, whose sweet daughter K is in my class. So it was fun to see K and tease her that she should be doing her homework, and she got to play with Colin a little bit.
  • He's growing teeth. But I didn't say that. You know that a watched mouth doesn't cut teeth, right?
  • 20 more days of school ::happy dance::

No comments: