Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas (the short of it)

Because I could go on forever about what we ate and what presents we gave and received, I will only give you only a quick rundown of festivities.

On Christmas Eve, we went to church. This, I think, was the very first time I've ever been to church on Christmas Eve. Sacrilegious, I know. But it was nice, and Colin did amazingly well listening and watching all the babies and big kids around him. Then we went to Kevin's parents house. Colin got introduced to the word "present" and the fun things that hide in small (and big!) boxes underneath a tree.

On Christmas Day, Colin woke up and toddled into a dark living room. When I turned the lights on, he saw his blue chair and presents and was ready to open them right away. After having breakfast, we packed up the car and headed to Mankato where my aunt lives. It was a long drive, but Colin was a great rider! He slept only about half the drive time, but the awake half he was content just riding. From Mankato, we went to Rochester and spent the night.

On the 26th, my brother and his girlfriend arrived at my parents house. After brunch, Colin was laying on the floor on his belly propped up on his elbows, hands clasped, waiting patiently for the go-ahead to open more presents. Oh how I wish I took a picture of that. The one in my head is so cute that any photography skillz of mine just wouldn't do it justice. He helped pass out presents and then got to dig into the goodies. Kevin drove home that afternoon because he had to work on Monday. My mom, Colin, and I went to Target and when we strolled down the toy aisle, he thought everything was "presents."

Colin woke up at 3:45 on the 27th and wanted to be awake. I, of course, thought that was insane and refused to let him go to the living room and play. I kid you not, he cried, screamed, kicked, scratched, hit, jumped, fell on the floor, etc. for at least an hour and 15 minutes if not longer. I did my best to calm him down or ignore him. Finally, he climbed into bed on top of my face and fell asleep until he woke up at 7:30. After getting ready and packing up the car, Colin and I went to my friend's house to see her new baby girl. Then we met up with Jess and Nolan at the House of Bounce. It was Toddler Time, and there sure we a lot of them there! We ate lunch at our favorite pizza joint where Colin ate at LEAST half a slice of pizza. Then we buzzed out of town. Colin slept the whole way home.

Pictures to come.

2 comments:

grandma J said...

For the record, you did go to church x-mas eve when you were very little. Most of the time the x-mas eve service did not work well with your Mothers work schedule.

AJ said...

Gotcha. I never knew. I don't resent it or blame you or anything. It just wasn't a tradition.