Saturday, December 11, 2010

Back in the saddle

As you know, I ran a 5K back in September. I actually loved training for it, I loved running it, and I wanted to continue to run. But I got sick and couldn't run for fear of leaving a lung behind on the sidewalk. In Mid-November, I was feeling normal again, and started to get the itch to run again.

I debated getting a Snap membership and actually going 3 times a week to qualify for my health insurance discount. That's what always happens though. I sign up, and by the end of that first month, I don't go the required amount of times to qualify and have to pay the full amount. Needless to say, it was my cheapest option.

That is, until I had a light bulb moment. I do my clearest thinking in the shower. Like yesterday morning, when I started thinking about chickens and eggs and twin-yolk eggs and wondering if twin chickens would ever develop long enough to both hatch. Luckily, my school's library aide raises chickens and she told me that she's never had twins hatch out of an egg. She thinks that one chicken twin dies while the other one lives. ANYWAY...

So, I began thinking that maybe I could check craigslist for a cheap treadmill. Then I had a better idea. Kevin's' grandma had a treadmill, and I wondered what happened to it. I asked Kevin to ask his mom, and she was storing it in her basement. She didn't need it because she already had one.

Kevin dragged (drug?) it home last night and set it up.

I stepped onto it today and started my 5-minute brisk walk. Then I ran for 15 minutes for a total of 1.5 miles without walking. I decided to stop there so I don't over-train right away. I'm tellin' ya, it was awesome :) What's not awesome, though, is the view. A surround of white wall makes for a non-scenic run. It's okay though! It's just for winter and rainy day use.

Thanks, J, for the treadmill!

Also, I'd like to say that if today were any other day but a Saturday or Sunday, we'd sooo have a snow day and I wouldn't have to go to work. It's only 1:2o pm, but we already have over 10 inches of snow that has fallen in the past, I don't know, 12 hrs.

No comments: