Friday, January 13, 2012

Cut the Crap! Update

I've decided that I'm just going to go through the calendar and get it done--some days doing more than one calendar day at a time. I would like to show you my handiwork, if you don't mind.

Here's my spice/cooking cabinet. This is the "after" picture, with everything I threw away on the countertop. Don't mind the top shelf--that's the recipe book shelf and I haven't gotten to that yet.
This is the linen closet. MESSY. Embarrassing.
Top half "before":
"After." TA-DA! The top shelf has Rocket's "blanket" and a random heating pad. Second shelf down has a zippered blanket box that holds sheets and extra pillowcases (I threw 2 sheet sets away and I'm donating the pillow shams I don't use). Third shelf down has beach towels, hand towels, and the green basket holds washcloths. Fourth shelf down holds towels.
Bottom half "before":
This is all the stuff I pulled out of just the floor and bottom 2 shelves (basically what is pictured above). I threw out a ton of it. Lesson learned: Space Saver bags suck. All but 1 went in the garbage.
The bottom half "after". The "top" shelf has toilet paper, kleenexes, and air fresheners. The green baskets hold extra kitchen towels (I'm donating a bunch that I barely used) and rags. Behind the rags are old towels we use as dog paw wipers, dog dryer offers, etc. The next shelf down has extra pillows, a quilt, and a comfortor. The tub on the floor holds extra blankets.Pretty snazz-tastic, huh?

Other projects I have conquered:
Bathroom drawers/storage--threw out a ton of skin care products I'm not going to use and consolidated a bunch of random stuff into one basket in a cabinet.

Utensil drawers--the ones with the spatulas, serving spoons, can opener, measuring cups/spoons, etc. I'm still not completely sold on it and have to think some more about it.

Foyer closet, which mostly meant relocating Kevin and my winter stuff to our own baskets in the entryway. There's not a whole lot of excitement to see there, so I'll spare you the pictures. Just trust me that it looks nice!

Next up:
The closet that holds cleaning supplies, our bedroom closet. I'm totally in "closet" mode. I have totally caught the decluttering bug, and believe it or not I'm having a lot of fun throwing stuff away.

No comments: