Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Resolutions

First, let's see what resolutions I stuck to in 2011.

1. Run/"do" 3 races. One I have in mind is the Root River Triathlon, which includes 6.5 miles of canoeing instead of swimming. Also, 8 miles of biking and a 3 mile run.
*Did this race whilst 11 weeks pregnant. Haven't run since. It's all good though. A triathlon is like 3 races all rolled into one, right? I will get back on the running bandwagon in 2012, and perhaps run a 5k. I'm not going to worry about running too much this year because breastfeeding is a bigger priority in 2012.

2. Pay off a large chunk of debt. I'd like to say half of what we owe. Seems like a lofty goal, but perhaps we can do it barring no financial obstacles getting in our way.
*We did pay off a large chunk, but not half of what we owe. All together, we've paid off about $12,000 since June 2009 :) And that's about a third better than where we started from. Bottom line is, the numbers are getting smaller and we are making headway.

3. Leave work at the end of the day with a clean(er) desk. The least I can do is put the papers in one nice, neat stack, right? Really, I'm going to try hard to get better at this.
*Yeah, this didn't happen. Except for the 2 weeks before Ben was born when I cleaned it off every single day just in case I wasn't back the next day.

4. Get Colin potty trained for good (I know, I keep saying that. 2011 is the year baby!).
*Totally conquered this one so long ago.

5. Re-start "date nights" on the 7th(ish) of every month. Kev and I have been slacking. With a fresh batch of gift cards in-hand, we're ready!
*We didn't go out every month...just a few scattered here and there, and they were more like lunch dates, which is fine and dandy too. Usually the 7th would come and go and we wouldn't even think about it.


So maybe I didn't do so well. Let's see what 2012 will bring:

1. Pay off more debt. Losing salary due to 6 weeks of non-paid maternity leave will put a damper on that, but starting in September (when my paychecks go back to normal) hopefully we'll be able to put all of the money I make teaching piano lessons towards it.

2. Declutter. Dudes, I found this decluttering calendar and I'm going to declutter in 2012. It's going to be dorky but it's going to be awesome. I invite you to join me. I have even gotten an early start and will post about it soon.

3. Survive the "Terrible 2s" and the first 8 months of the "Trying 3s": Round 1 (Colin). I hope to come back unscathed.

4. Be more generous. Not necessarily with money because we can't offer more right now. I'm talking about being more generous with my time, my love, and my heart. I often find myself selfish when others are so generous to me. I want to be more giving. There will be a time when I can also afford to be generous with my money, which I also will enjoy.

5. Make time for Rocket. I hate to admit it, but there are many days when I go to bed and realize that I haven't given the pooch very many pets or belly rubs or ear scratches or ball tosses or chases around the yard. He's my "first born" and I don't like knowing he's been put on the back burner that's behind another back burner.

No comments: