Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Can I share now?

If you haven't seen the two previous posts that are not decluttering related, scroll down.

There. Now it's share time :)

Here is another closet. It's in our entryway to the garage and it's kind of random. It stores a plethora of randomness like crock pots, roasting pans, the George Foreman, cleaning supplies, dog supplies, extra garbage bags, light bulbs brooms, a mop, flashlights, bug spray, and owners manuals.
Before:
I threw away cheap candles, cleaning supplies I don't use anymore, I'm donating an extra toaster. I moved some stuff out, and moved other stuff in.

The result:
(I'm loving those inexpensive bins from Target. I used them in my linen closet too).
Top shelf: appliance type stuff.
2nd shelf: George Foreman, and all of those iron things that go inside of it are stored in the bin.
3rd shelf: Cleaning supplies in one bin, Norwex cleaning rags and mitts and things in the other.
4th shelf: Dog stuff and owners manuals.
5th shelf: Dust pan, and in one bin is lightbulbs, and in the other bin is flashlights and bug spray, stored around the corner is the garbage bags.
6th shelf: Reuseable shopping bags
My brooms and mop are stored on the door and just inside the closet.

So pretty :)

Tupperware cabinet
Over the weekend, I moved on to more kitchen cupboards. Here's my tupperware cupboard before the overhaul. Yes, I did feel the need to keep all of the plastic tubs. You never know when someone will come over for dinner and I'll give them leftovers! ::eyeroll:: I thought I was organized because I have all of the circles stacked with circles, squares with squares, etc. AND I had that purple basket on the bottom to hold (most) of the lids.

Before:

I indeed threw away all of the tubs on the top shelf, I'm giving the glass jars to my dad for canning, I moved a few things into other (organized) cupboards, threw away the ice cube trays since our fridge has an ice maker, and gave the purple basket a new purpose.

After:
Top shelf: just a few larger/random items. The coffee can behind the other things actually found a new purpose--storing cookie cutters.
2nd shelf: lids, in stacks by shape
3rd shelf: Tupperware in stacks by shape
4th shelf: lunch boxes, bottles, milk jugs I use to store breastmilk in for daycare, and in the purple basket you'll find little snack bowls and their lids.

"Dishes" cabinet:
When I had finished organizing that cupboard, I needed something to put in the bottom shelf (you can see it's pretty empty), I decided to just go ahead and do the cupboard that has the plates/bowls/glasses/etc. in it. Once again, I thought I was being organized by putting all the sippy cup/water bottle parts in that plastic tub on the bottom shelf. Amateur.
Before:
Tons of kids' cups (and all their parts) and freebie cups (and Oh hello, Country Fest 2003 mug I haven't used in 8+ years!) were taking over. I tossed a bunch out. Luckily I did this at nap time. Hopefully Colin will never remember he once had a blue and white striped globe to drink out of. I also threw out the sippy cups whose valves I hated cleaning (FYI-Playtex) and only kept the ones that were easy to clean (FYI-Tommee Tippee)

After:
Top shelf: water bottles, margarita glasses (I was tempted to throw them away, but resisted...for now), travelers mugs, and coffee mugs
2nd shelf: Glasses, wine glasses, "iced tea footed" glasses (we do use these on occasion), kids cups with their lids on them instead of in the (now gone) plastic tub.
3rd shelf: self explanatory

Other decluttered spaces:
I've also cleaned out other cupboards that were more minor and didn't need organizing, just decluttering. I'm donating my chocolate fondue set and a smoothie maker (we have a blender anyway). I'm taking some big, fun bowls to school to use there.

We also cleaned out our closet. I had one of those fabric organizer things, and didn't really use it very much, so I took that out, and I'm donating some dresses I don't wear anymore. We threw away some clothes that don't fit or we don't wear.

I cleaned off our dresser. Sadly, I don't recall the last time it had been dusted. Too much work to take all the crap off the top. Now it only houses essential things like a wedding picture, lotion, and a jewelry box.

Next up:
The next task I'd like to do is going through our "seasonal" clothes bin which also stores maternity clothes and clothes that don't fit right now, but will (like my jeans in all sizes for different stages of breastfeeding). I may just bring it upstairs right now and dump it all out on the living room floor.

I'm really look forward to, but am totally overwhelmed by, organizing our basement storage room. It's going to take both of us, plus someone to act as child wrangler, to go through it efficiently. A lot is going to need to be thrown away or stored in bins. And when it's done, I do believe a glass of wine will be in order :)

1 comment:

grandma J said...

Looks nice Andrea, come home to declutter my house.