Monday, January 2, 2012

Cut the Crap!

Okay, so as I posted about in my Resolutions post below, I'm going to declutter this year. I'm using the calendar I posted in the aforementioned post.

To kick things off, Kevin and I went to Target yesterday and I bought 2 junk drawer organizers to use on January 13 and 14. And then I got home and I just couldn't leave them in a bag to cause...you know, clutter...so I decided to organize the junk drawers pretty much the moment I set foot in the house.

I wish I had a before shot of our kitchen, because people, the transformation of a simple junk drawer is a.ma.zing! I organized the 2-3 junk drawers we had (1 wasn't necessarily a junk drawer, but it needed some serious organization anyway). Then I looked at the countertops and saw 2 baskets worth of crap that needed to be organized, so I organized and threw out a bunch of stuff from them. It all lead to my countertops being completely cleaned off. This hasn't happened since 2006 when we moved into our house.

But I do have an after shot. Anybody who has been to my house recently and has a semi-recollection of the uh...collections...will be quite impressed. Right Mom!?!?! Even those baskets waaaay at the end of the counter will be leaving soon. One has Christmas cards in it. The other has just a few random things in it. It's kind of like a "to do" basket.
I (jokingly) told Kevin that now I needed to find some stuff to put on our counters. He chuckled a bit and said, "or we could use it for dishes that sit there just temporarily." Whatever dude.

I also set up this nifty little station. Top drawer for "returns" (things I have to give back to people or things to return to a store). Middle drawer for "donate." Bottom drawer TBD. Empty at own convenience. The return box is already pretty full. The donate box has stuff in it too, and will be full all the time with all of this decluttering going on. It was a great help even just yesterday when I started sifting through all of the crap.
Cheers to the start of decluttering. I just *really* hope I can keep up with it all year long.

No comments: