Monday, April 9, 2012

Colin's First Dentist Appointment (Update pt. 2)

He went with me in January to get a ride in the chair and just check the place out. It took him some bribery to even open his mouth so the hygienist could count his teeth. I had previously made him an appointment for April for his real appointment, but since he at least let her count his teeth, we rescheduled him to July.

Or so I thought.

I got a reminder call on Thursday that he had an appointment on Friday. Somehow the appointment didn't get canceled. I figured, what the heck, we'll give it a shot. I honestly thought he had a cavity forming so this was perfect.

This kid is shy. He doesn't like new people or situations. He can be shy with his own grandparents for Heaven's sake, much less a strange woman who is about to put sharp instruments in his mouth. Needless to say, I was prepared for another non-appointment.

He surprises me sometimes.

He marched right up into the chair, laid back, opened his mouth, and let her count, polish, floss, even scrape his teeth! He did have a stuffed animal with him and he did hold my hand, but he definitely wasn't clinging to either of us. When the dentist came in later, I wasn't even holding his hand anymore at all. It was amazing. I was so proud of him so I treated him to a McFlurry for being so awesome.

Oh, and no cavity :)

No comments: