Friday, July 16, 2010

The Scoop on Poop

He'll kill me when he's in high school for writing about this. He should be glad I didn't take a picture of him next to his first potty poop a la Kate Gosselin.

I recently read an excerpt from the book Diaper Free Before 3 on Amazon, and realized that Colin is ready for potty training. He was ready for it a long time ago. I've just been lazy. Why go through all that work when he can just go in his diaper, right? Well...truthfully, I don't mind cleaning out his solid poops, because they just get dumped in the toilet. But I think it's safe to say I'm not thoroughly enjoying rinsing the mushier ones. So...the more he poops in the potty, the less time Kevin or I spend doing that.

Both yesterday morning and this morning, I put Colin on his potty a few minutes after breakfast and he pooped! Yesterday he was kind of bewildered by the whole idea, but today he seemed a little more interested.

I have 5 full weeks of summer left (which I just counted out and realized MORE than half my summer is gone. Summer school ended today. :(). If I can at least get a good start on this--if not train him completely--that would be awesome.

So here's the plan. I'm going to put him on his potty a few minutes after every meal. That's when he usually poops. I'm also going to put him on his potty when he wakes up in the morning and after naps. Maybe he'll realize "hey...I can pee in the potty instead of my diaper!"

The plan does not include running to the store anytime soon to buy underwear, because he is just not ready for that yet. But when the time comes that he's communicating that he needs to go, we'll spring for the Scooby Doo or Superman or Spongebob or whatever undies.

1 comment:

stephie said...

Way to be a good pooper Colin!! He's growing up so much...it looks like he's changing quite a bit from the carnival pictures. Can't wait to see you next weekend! Love ya.