Friday, July 9, 2010

There's happiness in the word "please"

We've been teaching Colin to say "please" a lot; pretty much after he asks for anything. So now, he says the following phrases:

uh ee* = up please, when he wants to be picked up
dah! = stuck, which is usually followed by...
ah ee* = help please
*sometimes he says "ees"

My most favorite one he says is "help please," and he's been using it a lot. The other day, his pacifier fell behind his Rubbermaid "toy box" we keep in the living room. So he said, "ah ah" which is uh oh, and then I said, "help please?" and he repeated, "ah ee." I moved the box out a little bit, but he still couldn't reach it, so, without a prompt, he looked at me and said, "ah ee" again. Today, he wanted me to turn on his truck so it would move. He gave it to me and said "ah ee."

It's kind of annoying when he wakes up in the middle of the night searching for his pacifier, but how can I not melt when I hear his scratchy, tired, little voice saying "nah nah?" with a little lilt, as if he's calling it to come to him. So I (or Kevin) feel around in the dark of his crib for it, put it back in his mouth, and he lies down again.

Other new words he's saying:
bubbles (I can't even think how he says it)
sti= stick
tee = teeth. We make an attempt to brush them after bath time, so he often says it then.
hah = hot. ANY food we give him is now "hot." Even if it's a piece of bread or yogurt. He says, "hah" and then waves his hand over it and blows. The stove is hot. The granite bench is hot. The driveway is hot. This one makes me smile a lot too.

I love hearing his vocabulary grow every day. And I really love hearing kind words like please. It's a word we don't hear often enough from children today.

No comments: