Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Potty Training Diaries: Preface/Day 1

PREFACE: Colin went pee on the potty at daycare on Wednesday and Thursday. I decided to run with it and potty train cold turkey style this weekend.

DAY 1
Colin woke up this morning at 5:30 and snuggled in bed with us until 7:00 (glorious!). As soon as he woke up, we went straight to the bathroom and took his (soaking wet) diaper off. He sat on the potty but didn't go. I put some underwear on him and away we went for the day!

I had a hair cut appointment this morning and Kevin was gone all day, but Kevin's mom came over for the half hour I was gone. After I got back, Colin and I collected all of the cloth diapers and put them in a garbage bag and put the bag out in the garage. We said good bye to the "baby diapers."

All day long I kept asking him if he had to go potty. Most of the times he said no, but when he said yes, we went. I also told him to tell me if he had to go, and one time he said "potty," so we went and he peed (awesome).

There was only one accident this morning, which happened while I was making some blue box Macaroni and Cheese. I yelled "NO!" to him because he was about an inch away from touching the hot burner on the stove and then he started crying because I scared (the piss out of) him. Then he started peeing. As soon as I saw, I scooped him up, put him on the potty, and he went more on there. And after earning some M&Ms, he forgot about the whole thing.

While he was eating lunch, I asked him if he had to go potty, and he said yes, so we went to the bathroom. He peed, sat for awhile longer listening to snowmobiles and airplanes that were outside, and wouldn't you know it, he pooped!

For naptime, I put one of the sheet savers we used long ago to protect the sheets from spit up in his crib and made sure he was laying on it. Of course, we also have a mattress protector, but one more waterproof barrier won't hurt. I made sure he went potty one last time before he took a nap. He woke up after a half hour calling my name, so I went in there and asked if he had to go potty. He said yes, so I put him on the potty. He forced himself to go. Then I rocked him for a minute to get him sleepy again and put him back down. He slept for another hour and a half (I had to wake him up) and woke up dry!

The afternoon was good too. He even said "poop," so we went to the potty and sure enough, he pooped! Later in the evening, I asked him if he had to go (he said no) and to tell me if he needed to go. 30 seconds later, he said he had to go so we went.

For night time, we're going to continue using our overnight disposables. We just bought a new box a few weeks ago and we're just getting into a sleep-through-the-night routine again. After working hard all day to stay dry, Colin deserves the chance to just relax. Hopefully with a little bit of time he'll catch on and start staying dry at night too.

Day 1: A success! I'm not counting the accident he had since I scared him into peeing.