Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Today's Wish List

1. Margarita (Chi Chi's tequila rose version)
2. Massage
3. Tropical vacation for about 2 weeks (heck, I'd take tonight through Sunday!)
4. All the right answers

Numbers 1-3 combined in one so I can clear my head and get to number 4. Why?

I've said before I have the sweetest, albeit s p a c i e s t class this year. It's true. But now there's a wrench in it. Without going into too many details, it all revolves around one particular student (it's always just 1, isn't it?), named G. His home life is not ideal...parents together/not together/move out/move back in/etc. Currently, his mom moved out and he's separated from his twin sister. There's SO more to it than that, but you get the jist.

Which means.... he misses his sister. And when she wasn't at school today, he was not well-behaved.

Laundry list:
1. Didn't do ANY academic work. Instead he...
2. Drew a picture for his sister (perfectly okay option in my book) that said "I love you K-"
3. Ran away from me and other adults
4. Kicked another teacher
5. Talked and talked and talked trying to get attention from the class (they're so good at ignoring him, bless them)
6. Bullied other kids
7. etc.

And then there's my super sweet student C. I love that kid. And he's sensitive, and when G pushed him, he cried. Which only makes things worse you know. G knows he can get to C now. So I had a talk with C about not crying in front of G and instead to show him that he's tough by not responding to him.

These behaviors were very rare up until mom moved out. Now it's every day.

You want to love on him. He needs so much love right now, but he doesn't even respond to hugs, praise, or other good things. When you give him those things, that's when he starts the undesirable behaviors. He doesn't know what to do when someone is kind to him. Isn't that sad?

If only I could be whisked away to a tropical isle so I could relax on the beach in my bikini soaking up the sun's warm rays with my little family and a margarita in my hand.

1 comment:

stephie said...

Sounds like a rough time. The weekend is near and I wish I could enjoy that drink with you!