Friday, October 14, 2011

"Dowin's New Wewm"

(That's Colinese for Colin's new room)

Last weekend we got the essential elements for Colin's room and assembled it all. Here's what we came up with:

Bed (MALM) from IKEA. We used a twin sized mattress and box spring we already owned. Quilt and sheets (which you can't see) from Target.
Bookshelf w/blue doors (STUVA) from IKEA. Toy hanging thing in the corner from IKEA. Striped rug on floor from Target. Paint job done by my co-worker/friend--the art teacher at school. Still need curtains.
We still need some decor for the walls. Paint color: Leapfrog by Sherwin Williams.
And someday we'll replace the trim and door to something less 1960s beech.Closetmaid closet system from Home Depot (super easy to put together). Kevin's last job here is to put a shelf on the top left and right of the center piece. My last job here is to figure out what's going on all those shelves!
The transition from crib to big boy bed has gone pretty smoothly, which really surprises us. I think what helped is making a big deal of it and everything being new. He's pretty proud of his new room, and likes to show it to guests. Once Colin's in bed, he pretty much stays there. He still wants us to keep the light on, even though there are 2 night lights, but he still falls asleep quickly.

The second night he slept in his new room, I asked him if he wanted the light on or off. he said he wanted it on, and then he said, "I not scared." heehee!

There have been 2 nights where he must have had a bad dream or he woke up confused or something. One night he asked me to read him books at 2:45 in the morning. Uh...weird.

Then today I woke up at 5:30 to him saying "Mama." I opened my eyes and saw his silhouette holding a teddy bear. Of course I invited him in to bed to snuggle. How could I resist?

Here's my big boy sleeping in his bed the first night.
He's totally cool with giving up his old room for the baby. Sometimes when we're going to his room to get dressed or whatever, he'll walk to the nursery. We'll ask him where he's going and he'll stop and say "Oh! Das da baby's wewm. Not my wewm. My wewm ova ee-ah."

I have yet to take the vinyl letters that spell Colin's name off the wall in the nursery. I'm not quite ready to do that yet. We haven't moved the baby stuff back into the room yet either. We've got time. And I want Colin to adjust a little longer before I do all of that. And I need some adjustment time too. ;)

1 comment:

stephie said...

You've done a really good job with Colin's room AJ! It looks great! He's such a big boy now! I need to see you belly before it's too late...I'm missing out man! Still working on coordinating a date to see Mommy L and baby M. Will keep you posted. love ya!