Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Foot, meet mouth. Mouth, meet foot.

During my pregnancy with Ben, I often said, "I don't make big babies." I was going off Colin's 6 lb birth weight.

I bought a size 0-3 month winter outerwear for Ben to wear, calculating that it would take us through March which would be perfect timing. Someone gave Ben another fleece outerwear thing in size 3-6 months after he was born, and I thought there's no way he'd be using it this year.

Others gave him some long-sleeved 3-6 month outfits and hoodies and I said, "Oh, this will be great for spring!"

I advised Laura to not get the Snugride 35 car seat because she'd never carry around a 35 lb baby. Colin weighs 33 lbs and he's almost 3. No way would you want to lug him around in an infant seat. No need for the 35 lb weight limit on that car seat. She bought it anyway, because she's smart like that. I'm super jealous of the cute pattern, too :)

I should have known better.

Ben started off at 8 lbs. He weighs a whopping 18 lbs now. This is how much Colin weighed when he was 6 months old. Some kids don't get to 18 lbs before their first birthday. I do make big babies.

Ben outgrew that cute little fuzzy bear-hooded winter outerwear thing I got him within a few weeks. And not only that, but we didn't use it a lot because he gets so darn sweaty in his car seat, he was miserable in it.

Those 3-6 month long-sleeved outfits are going to be stored away in the next month or so.

And while it's true that one would not want to carry around a 33 lb 2 1/2 year old in an infant seat, Ben is only 4 lbs away from outgrowing his car seat with its 22 lb weight limit. At his current rate of growth, he'll be there in 3 more weeks. I'm not so sure I'm ready to carry around a 2 month old in a store. I'd love to be able to wait until he can sit up in the shopping cart seat, but that won't come for another 3-4 months!

Lessons learned:
1. Shut up because you never know what's going to happen.
2. Feet don't taste very good.

2 comments:

stephie said...

Wowza!! You do make big babies!! Oh, but he's so darn cute!

grandma J said...

I have to agree with Steph, he is so darn cute!!