Friday, May 29, 2009

Tidbits

Random tidbit #1: Wednesday night/Thursday morning was horrible. We got up way too often to change/feed Colin. I thought I had time-traveled back in to somewhere between weeks 1 and 3.

Random tidbit #2: Thursday night/Friday morning started off horrible. Colin was awake from 5 pm until 11:30 pm. From 9:30-11:30, when Kevin and I really just wanted to get to bed, he did not. You'd think being up for 6 hrs would be incentive enough to sleep. Not so much. Anyway, when he did get to sleep at about 11:30, he didn't wake up until...get this....6 am!! It was glorious. While our sleep was uninterrupted, I for one did not sleep soundly, because I was just waiting to hear a cry. And then you wonder....is he breathing? But being the good/bad mother (you make the call) I am, I didn't even get up to check. I trusted he was okay, and he was.

Random tidbit #3: Thought Colin had an ear infection. Better to be safe than sorry, so I took him in. No ear infection. The doctor suggested squirting some saline solution up Colin's nose to rid him of his boogery nastiness. He's constantly so congested. You know when you have loads of boogers in your nose, and you can breathe through them, but it's hard? That's how it is with the little guy. We did the squirting tonight using the bulb syringe, aka "snot sucker." It's like a mini netti pot! He was clear for a half hour or so, then that signature booger-snore came back again. Perhaps if we keep up with it, his nose will clear out.

Random tidbit #4: Tonight for the first time ever, Colin really seemed to enjoy his bath!! It started off as normal as the other times...crying, red face, fists clenched, all the while, we work as quick as we can while trying to keep him warm by constantly keeping water on the parts that are above water. Then...all of a sudden...quiet. Peace. A grin? Awesome. What's the difference? I think it was how he was positioned on the big yellow sponge. He was scooted up a little bit on it after we washed his back, and was more comfortable, perhaps. We'll see what happens in 2 more nights when it's bath time again.

Random tidbit #5: I had my 6 week follow up visit today. 4 lbs left to go until I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I know exactly where those 4 lbs are sitting. My tummy is my nemesis. I was expecting what's there to weigh more than it does, so I'll shut up now. It was good to see Midwife again. She reiterated how "wonderful" our birth was, how it was the birth people dream of, etc. I'm cleared to exercise, but not ready to hop on the treadmill yet because of some healing I feel needs to be done first. We'll keep it at our neighborhood strolls for now.

And random tidbit #6: I stopped at school today. I thought I could get by just grabbing the catalog I needed from a co-worker. "My" students were on a field trip...perhaps I could even avoid them. But you know how women are. And since I'm a teacher, I work with a bunch of them, and they all wanted to sneak a peek. And it was the end of the day, when things get a bit more laid back. So my 10 min trip turned into 1.5 hrs. But it was good to see everyone. And I saw my class as they were returning. They were sooooo happy to see me, and many of the girls pleaded for me to come back. The boys were super cute too, and many wanted hugs. These are 10 year olds people. And even if they didn't come up and give me a hug, if they were in arm's reach I hugged them anyway and they liked it. Some of the girls just couldn't get enough hugs. Uh...thanks for appreciating me 6 weeks too late. Love ya too. We're returning to school on June 12th for Sports Day, which is the best day of the year because the kids run around and do these sports stations that the parents run while the teachers get to slack off.

Alright...off to bed. Don't want to jinx tonight by wishing for any particular number of straight sleeping hours. But you know what I'm wishing for!

No comments: