Sunday, June 7, 2009

6 week wonder wall

Okay, this is long. Sorry...

They say the first 6 weeks are hardest. They were right. Then all of a sudden, when Colin turned 6 weeks old last Saturday, it seemed as if I finally could say, "I think I've got this figured out."

What was once a headache- and stress-inducing cryfest (mostly on Colin's part, and on occasion when I was overly tired, mine as well), where I would ask my non-verbal baby "What do you want!??!" has now subsided. I think the problem is reflux, because these crying spells really happen mostly after he's done eating. He'd just throw his head back and wail. There are these magical little inventions I was really hoping to avoid using. Pacifiers. I'd tried giving one to Colin in weeks past, but he wouldn't take it. I chalked it up to him just not being a pacifier-liking baby. I enjoyed the fact he wouldn't take it, because that's just one less habit to break later. Then, last Saturday when he was screaming his little lungs out, I stuck it in his mouth and bam. Magic. Ever since, he uses it sometimes when he's done eating and starts crying. I hear it eases the pain in between burps and spit-ups. So that's better. And he doesn't really use it other times.

Bath times are now so fun, and they are getting longer and longer because he doesn't mind them as much. Last night, he didn't cry until we took him out of the water! I'm really excited for the day, hopefully soon, when he kicks his legs and plays a little bit when it's bath time.

I feel now that I can be gone all day with him and figure out the logistics of feeding, changing diapers, etc. No biggie. Wal-Mart, the lake, shopping...all of it can be worked out. So now, even though I was still getting out the first 6 weeks, I don't feel as trapped at home. I know that he'll pretty much fall asleep in the car once I'm out of the driveway, and he'll most likely stay asleep throughout the whole errand-running. I've actually never changed or fed him in public yet.

I feel now as though I'm finally *almost* 100% healed, both mentally and physically. The amount of sleep we're getting is now a new normal, and is much more manageable and expected. I don't begrudge his wake-up cries at night anymore, I just get up and do what needs to be done. Speaking of which--people often ask how he's sleeping--it's still the 3 hr stretches. Actually, it goes a little something like this. He wakes up at 10:00, 1:00, 4:00 (he HAS to be awake sometime during the 4:00 hr every night, no matter when he last fell asleep), and then it gets rough--5:30, 6:30, 7:30 (when I finally just give in and we're up until his morning nap about an hour later). And in between those times I'm awake anywhere from 20-45 minutes feeding and burping him. Sometimes we do laundry at night between feedings, which I find so odd.

Kevin and I went clothes shopping, so I finally have some capris and shorts that fit me decently. My hips have definitely widened, and the pants I already owned couldn't make it past their vastness. It's so good to be out of sweat/exercise pants (you know you've been wearing them too long when you can say that)!

We went on a family outing to the art fair that was being held in the city park on Friday. I wore the Moby and Colin slept in it the whole time. It was pretty nice to be hands-free and know that Colin was comfortable and cozy in there. I'm hoping to use it more around the house now that he's a little more used to it.

And those smiles and coos and "laughs," where he sucks in air and it kind of sounds like a laugh, are the best. It's so fun to change his diaper and talk to him or sing him songs and he responds a little. I've been trying to capture a smile on camera, and have taken multiple pictures this week. These are the best of the best, none of which truly show one of the real smiles I'm dying to catch.

And, because it's funny...
Look, Mom! A plane! *Thank you, Sarah, for the caption :)

4 comments:

Kelsey said...

Ugh- reflux. If you EVER have any questions about reflux, feel free to pop by my blog and ask. I highly recommend the book "Colic 101" by Dr. Vartabedian. It honestly saved my life. I cried with relief when I began to understand that others had experienced similar challenges and overcome them. Good luck figuring things out!

Sarah said...

I still love the second picture best. :)

stephie said...

Great pics AJ! I love seeing him change every week...he's got some chubiness going on now! So great, thank you! Love ya.

leah @maritalbless said...

It's a wonder you get anything done! So cute!