Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Diagnosis: not reflux.

I've come to a conclusion in my professional diagnosis of Colin's wailing and massive spit ups after eating. His eyes are simply bigger than his belly. When he overeats, that's when the screams are most abundant. Combine overeating with a fast milk let-down, where he's swallowing with every suck (the teacher at breast feeding class said that babies usually suck 3 times and then swallow), and you'd have a painful bellyache too. When I cut him off after he starts to lose interest, he's fine. A few burps, perhaps a small spit-up, and we're good to either play or snooze again. I figure if he's still hungry after I cut him off, he'll let me know he needs more. Things are starting to balance out much better now. Count me lucky if feeding him usually only takes 10 minutes tops, right? It's an intense 10 minutes, but we're a git 'r done pair, apparently.

*Thanks, Kelsey, for directing me to your blog, where I realized if it were reflux, it would be a lot worse. Although I did see a few commonalities; they just weren't extreme enough. 

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

SO glad to hear that you're figuring out a solution to Colin's discomfort--no matter how minor or major the problem, we moms just want to fix it!

Regarding cool-weather clothes, is there a consignment store in your town? I've found some great stuff at Once Upon a Child consignment stores and they have clothes for all seasons. :)

AJ said...

Kelsey--You're so right..we just want to fix it. Good idea...but no consignments in this tiny town. Perhaps on my next trip to the Cities... Hopefully the alligator sweatshirt will be good enough!