Monday, July 13, 2009

Nasty rash

Colin has had what we perceived to be dry skin around his ear for quite some time now. Then he got a little patch of raised redness on his arm, and some larger patches on both legs. His belly has always been "bumpy"...but we thought it was dry skin. However, these patches seem to be getting worse. Today when I was putting on his PJs, I felt this HUGE patch (dime-sized is large on a baby!) of it on his shoulder. Upon closer inspection, it looks like he has tiny blisters.

Couldn't be sunburn because his shirts have covered his shoulders, and he hasn't been in direct sun. If I were to diagnose it after doing a tiny bit of researching, I'd call it eczema. Apparently it's less common in breastfed babies, but more common in children with a family history of asthma (that'd be me!). Apparently it shows up behind the ear, as well as arms and legs.

Anyway, I called my insurance's nurse line and she advised me to make an appointment at the clinic tomorrow. Until then, we're using California Baby calendula cream.

Which, by the way...let me put in a plug for California Baby Calming Shampoo and Body Wash. Colin's cradle cap is almost cleared up after washing his hair 3 nights in a row with it :) Their bubble bath looks like way too much fun...each bottle comes with a wand to blow bubbles with!

No comments: