Wednesday, June 9, 2010

I missed my midwife

And no, just because I said that does not in any way, shape, or form mean that I have a secret to share!

My midwife-with-a-crunchy-name also does regular ol' GYN stuff. Like you wanted to know what I did yesterday afternoon, right? I'll spare you the details.

My coworker/friend also goes to the same midwife for regular ol' GYN stuff and for baby-birthing purposes. We were talking last week, and I mentioned I get (note: not have with a grumble inserted) to see Midwife, and she was jealous! THAT'S how much we love this woman. I mean, seriously, who gets excited knowing a speculum is in her near future? We do.

When you're pregnant, you have appointments at approximately 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 37, 38, 39, and 40 weeks. You develop a bump and a relationship with your midwife because you ONLY see the midwife at your appointments. No other doctors step in her spot. You go through this incredible birthing experience with her (again...no substitutes. She was there at 3 a.m., in her glasses, looking like she had been awoken from a fabulous night of restful sleep). Then, all of a sudden, she's gone. Sure you see her 6 weeks later for a quick appointment but let's face it. That's only a tease. Then, barring pregnancy or some other need, you don't see her for another year. It's like quitting a love of ice cream or pop or chocolate (heaven forbid).

Needless to say, I was amped to see her. She's still as wonderful as ever. She still thinks I'm wonderful ;) She, again, said my water birth was so perfect. She complemented me on being able to breastfeed a whole year, and how I'm going to feel so good about that forever. She asked about Colin--his hair color specifically--and loved that he's a blondie. I forgot to bring a picture of him as I had left my phone in my car. I told her I was crazy for telling her, at my 6 week postpartum appointment, that he's laid back. Because we all know that he's really quite stubborn.

I left feeling like I could've chatted with her for at least an hour more. I wish I were her friend. I wish we could have coffee (well--either a steamer or smoothie for me). She makes you feel so darned good about yourself, even when you think you're already doing alright.

::sigh:: Someday I'll go back to seeing her frequently again. For now, I'll bask in the memories of that appointment yesterday.

No comments: