Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sharing the news

When we started sharing our pregnancy news way back in 2008 when I was pregnant with Colin, I was about 9 or 10 weeks along. This is how we shared the news with our parents.

This time, I was 9 and a half weeks. We told our parents on Mothers Day (May 8). I wanted to wait a little bit longer since I hadn't had an appointment yet. However, I had a little bloat going on and I had already seen my mom twice in person since finding out we were expecting, so I didn't want to hide it a third time. Plus, it was Mother's Day and what greater gift is there than another grandchild?

So...I made both my mom and Kevin's mom a Snapfish photo book of pictures of Colin from his first to his second birthday (they had both already received one of his first year at Christmas). At the end of their books, I attached an envelope and inserted a piece of paper that read: "Look for Colin as a big brother in the next photo book!" They both screamed (in delight, not horror). Our dads were a little more reserved--no screaming--but happy as well. My mom and dad were already suspecting it because I didn't drink wine at Easter.

While pregnant with Colin, I told most of my friends when I was about 10 weeks pregnant while on a shopping trip to IKEA. It was more spread out this time; I told a few friends separately. For instance, I didn't want to keel over and die during the triathlon without Stephie knowing. This time we had planned to meet at Edinborough Park for a picnic lunch and more shopping. We all brought something to share with the group. I volunteered to bring the fruit salad and plates/napkins/plasticware. I kept with a pink and blue theme. They didn't put two and two together at first, thinking the theme was because of Laura not finding out the gender at her ultrasound due to an uncooperative baby. But then I said it was for me, and they were all surprised and happy and shocked that I was already 13 weeks along! I'm so glad I get to be pregnant with friends again--Leah (July), Jess (August), and Laura (October)!

I told my co-workers at our last staff meeting. I had the secretary tie some pink and blue helium balloons that I had bought onto a chair in the room we were meeting in. People looked at the balloons and looked around, wondering who was pregnant. At the end of the meeting, my principal announced that we had two staff members who were pregnant. My co-worker, AP, who teaches 4th grade, wasn't at the meeting, but our principal got the okay to share that she is due at the end of November. And then she said, "And there's one more..." And people started guessing out loud. Turns out the librarian ended up sitting in the chair with the balloons and there was some joking about that. Then the laughter got quieter and I jumped up and said "It's me!" My co-workers were thrilled, which makes me feel great. I feel a little guilty knowing I get to take some time off.

So now we can share with anybody we want, and that is a good feeling!

1 comment:

Jen N. said...

Congrats Aidge! I'm a bit behind on your blog (for some reason my reader doesn't update me on your blog). SO happy for you and your family!