Thursday, September 22, 2011

Simply Music: Highs and Lows

After my intro sessions last weekend, I was sure that signing up the 4 students who came would be cake (except maybe not the one who was discouraged at the end). The biggest challenge, I thought, was to get these 4 students to all choose the same day and time for lessons.

Then came Monday. No money from anybody. And an email from my co-worker/friend whose daughter I have taught piano lessons to for the last year and a half saying her husband said it wouldn't work in their budget. I emailed the teacher I talk with in St. Paul and she emailed me some awesome fast facts about cost, value, etc. I tweaked it and sent it to my coworker. She emailed me back saying she would forward it to her husband, but she wasn't sure it would convince him.

I came home absolutely defeated, coming to the realization that I spent $650 and 40 hours of training for naught.

I went to work on Tuesday and I got a phone call in the middle of the day from another parent, saying she was on board and she'd drop off some money for me that evening. 1 student.

My co-worker emailed me saying her husband agreed on the condition that they get an extra month or two for the lower introductory rate. I obliged, knowing that the cost of the lessons is more than the cost of traditional lessons (for good reason). I figured if I could get this group started, they would soon realize the value of Simply Music lessons. I emailed everyone letting them know that I reduced the lessons for the duration of the first level to the intro rate, and after that it would be the regular rate. 2 students.

On Wednesday, I emailed everyone I hadn't heard from, just wondering what they were thinking about signing up for lessons or not. Later in the day, I found an enrollment form in my school mailbox. 3 students.

That afternoon, I met with a student and parent who had forgotten about the introductory session.

On Wednesday night, I got an email from the parent who seemed discouraged and she was in. She dropped a check off for me this morning in our mailbox. 4 students.

And today after school, the parent/student I talked to yesterday came to my classroom to become more convinced Simply Music is worth the value. And my student total rose to 5.

5 students! At the beginning of the week, I wasn't sure it was going to happen at all. But now it's reality. I've got a handful to start with next month.

5 students, 50 minutes.

And I'm perfectly fine with that :-D

2 comments:

Buffy said...

Simply Music- That's awesome, Andrea. Good for you for following through. Have Fun. :)

grandma J said...

Hope the parents see what a good program it is and get excited too.