Saturday, December 20, 2008

A happening

I saw the baby kicking today! She was kicking pretty hard, so I looked down, and within a few seconds a little bump rose and fell. It was super cool. Hopefully she'll do it more tonight so Kevin can see. He felt her kicking again last night. Lovin' it!

I'm feeling the itch to register soon. Within the next month, at least. I spent some of the snowy morning today researching cribs, mattresses, and rockers/gliders in my Baby Bargains book. It was a bit overwhelming, but made me change my mind about our previously made-up minds regarding the crib. At first, we were turned off by the selection at Babies R Us. Cheaply made furniture does not float our boat. We considered going the Amish route, which was WAY too expensive. Then we considered the homemade route by asking my dad to build the crib, which after today, I realized wasn't a good idea because of safety concerns. Not that I think my dad would build a deathtrap, but because the cribs you buy have to pass certain safety standards. I realized today that there's so much more to it than having a crib made in the brown maple we love. Even down to the nitty gritty things like hardware, it's better to have something that I know has passed safety standards. So, we will buck it up and buy a decent-quality crib at Babies R Us and be happy.

We braved the snow this evening to go to Wal-Mart for groceries. As usual, I wandered the produce looking for the food item that represents my baby this week. I had never paid much attention to papayas or spaghetti squash before, but holy moly they are big. I held it up to my stomach (and when I do this, I wonder if people are wondering what the heck I'm doing), and I told Kevin I was unsure about pushing something that size out. He was so kind to remind me that Raina has many more weeks to grow, and she'll only get bigger. I weighed the produce, too, and was semi-comforted that they weighed a hefty 3 pounds, which was 2 pounds heavier than Raina is right now.

1 comment: