Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Week 21: Bananarama

Raina is the size of a banana this week! Up until this point, the produce measurements were taken from crown to rump. This week starts the head to toe measurements. She's about 10.5 inches long and weighs about 12.7 ounces. We'll find out for sure on Friday at our REAL ultrasound how she's measuring up compared to her peers and bananas. She's busy gulping several ounces of amniotic fluid every day, both for hydration and nutrition and to practice swallowing and digesting. Her taste buds are actually working now. Apparently, some studies show that after birth, babies are most interested in tastes they've already experienced through amniotic fluid. Do you think it's true or they're just saying that so it makes me feel guilty for not eating enough vegetables?

Kevin felt Raina move for the first time last night! She was kicking away, so I put my hand on my belly where the kicks were, and felt one on the outside (as I have felt before), so I called Kevin over, and he finally felt it too! It was just one little tap, but he was pretty excited about it, in his own little way.

My dear friend Jessica, who is 28 weeks pg, and I got a chance to meet up this past weekend. We hit up Babies R Us and the Mall of America for some baby and maternity shopping. Mostly, we discussed the essentials. She found a crib she liked and ordered. Then we moved on to strollers and infant car seats and made a big decision together in those aisles. Nothing big--just what we plan on using for the stroller. We're both pretty excited about it, though. She bought me the book Baby Bargains for my birthday/Christmas/congrats, you're having a baby! gift. Surprisingly, when I got home and read the section on strollers, the authors agreed with us! We are so smart. Our plan is:
This:

Plus this (or something like it, you get the idea):

Equals this, being used by Naomi Watts. Click on the picture to see the whole thing.:

We figured that since we'll have infants in the summer time, what's the use for the big, heavy travel system when the baby is just a bitty thing? This is the compact way to go.

We also took some time out and paused by her Christmas tree to take a picture together. Me=20.5 weeks, Her=28 weeks. She knows how to turn her body to be flattering, and she's wearing black, which is why you can't see her cute, cute belly.

21 week belly pictures to come soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and official "baby envy" kicks in. :)

Kelsey said...

I like your theory that they just tell us the amniotic fluid thing because they want us to eat veggies. I totally got guilted into eating carrots, celery, and zucchini tonight!

leah @maritalbless said...

I love when you think of things for me. :)