Friday, August 7, 2009

Cribs. Who needs 'em? Lactation cookies. Need 'em.

I was in Rochester Wednesday-Thursday visiting my parents. Colin fell asleep on the way home, which is just why I had decided to leave so late (perhaps a little too late...sleepy mom!). When I got home, he was still sleeping peacefully in his car seat, so we decided to leave him in there and put him on the floor in our room, figuring he'd wake up in an hour or two and we'd put him in his crib. Nope. He slept until 5:30. He woke up every once in awhile and moved around a little bit or started making his huffy noises, and we got up to see if he was waking up, but he always went right back to sleep. So...our night wasn't without interruption, but at least we weren't up for long periods of time. When he woke up at 5:30, he got changed, fed, and wanted to play. Then he went back to sleep an hour later (as usual) at 6:30, and has been sleeping ever since, and it's 8:30 right now. It's a rainy day. Perhaps the barometric pressure has something to do with his sleepiness, because it definitely affects the kids at school!

Lactation cookies. My milk supply was drying up so fast it was scary. In the past month or so, I had always been able to pump about 4 oz. from each side. Then it went down to 1 or 2 oz. and I got scared. So I made lactation cookies (basically chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with some flaxseed meal and some nutritional yeast flakes) on Tuesday night. I had 2 that night, 2 for breakfast on Wed., and 2 for lunch. At about 5:00 Wed., I voluntarily let down (Colin was not eating at the time). It took less than 24 hours for that to happen, and ever since, I've been able to pump 4 oz. (or more!) on each side again. I'm not kidding you, people. I didn't eat any of the cookies yesterday or today yet, hoping I can get "regulated" again, but there are a few in the cookie jar, and a lot more in the freezer on stand-by. Here's the recipe, if you're interested. I got it off a cooking blog, she got it off of a cooking website. They really do taste alright...a little dense, but totally, totally edible. And I did use 1/2 c. of butter and 1/2 c. butter flavored Crisco like "Hippy" suggested. And I used a small bag of chocolate chips, plus a little bit of white chocolate chips too. Oh..and they don't make non-lactating people lactate, so don't worry if your husband (wouldn't it be funny if he lactated?!?), daughter, mother, the dog, whomever finds them.

No comments: