Sunday, August 9, 2009

Labor/Post-Partum Top Ten List

1. Fitness/exercise ball: We learned in our childbirth prep class that sitting on one will open your cervix. I was a lucky duck and didn't need to use it during labor, but the night (literally, hours...) before Colin was born, I was at a friend's house sitting on hers. I'm wondering if it didn't help speed the process along.2. Tub: Having a water birth was awesome. The warm water helped lessen the intensity of the contractions. Even if you don't want your baby to be born in the water, consider laboring in the tub for a little bit.

3. Popsicles: While I was in the tub, I was offered something to cool off with. My choices were: water, ice chips, or a popsicle. Of course I chose a popsicle, and Midwife said it was a good choice because of the extra calories. I enjoyed that cherry popsicle.
4. Relax: Let your body do the talkin'. I read *part* of a book called Birthing from Within. I found a lot of it to be not my style ("birth art?" no thanks), but it did talk about the importance of letting your body go through its own natural process. Remember...it will be over soon.
5. Supportive husband: Kev didn't do much in terms of talking, counting (actually, nobody counted...), massaging, etc. I seemed to have not needed those things. He was there to support me in the tub (otherwise, I would've floated to the top, even with the 26 extra pounds on me), and he held the ice-cold washcloth on my forehead. It was exactly what I needed. And, of course, after Colin was born, and even to this day, he's a lovely gopher. He doesn't complain one bit.
6. A parents-only visit day: The day Colin was born, we only allowed our parents to visit us in the hospital. It gave us time to get some rest (not sleep...too much adrenaline!), enjoy alone time with our baby, and let everything sink in. Plus, with all the post partum stuff happening, I just felt nasty and didn't want anybody around. Trust me, you won't want people around when you're learning how to breastfeed. The next day, we allowed friends to the hospital. By then, we were ready for some company.
7. Witch hazel: The Tucks pads. These rock. As soon as you're sick of using the humongous ice pack, use the witch hazel. You won't regret it.
8. Baths: I was advised to take 3 baths/day while in the hospital. I took 2/day. As much of a pain it is to do, it really does make you feel better. Then at home, I also tried to take at least 1/day (in addition to a shower), if not 2.

9. Cranberry spritzers: Mix cranberry juice with 8 oz. (the size of the tiny cans) of your favorite lemon-lime soda, and you've got a delightful treat. I'd never had one until Colin was born, and it fast became a favorite. I still make them :)
10. Nursing pads: Just in case your milk comes in while you're at the hospital. They do have some there, but you may need them eventually anyway. What I've been using are:

Playtex disposables:
And these, which are super cute and washable:
Baby O'Really on Etsy (her shop is currently closed)
BabiesMomma on Etsy