Tuesday, December 20, 2011

How we're doing

One word: Great!

Ben sleeps, eats, and poops just as he's supposed to. He even gives us a few longer stretches at night. How long, I don't know because I don't look at the clock. He nurses every 3-4 hrs when he's sleeping and every hour when he's awake (usually once when he wakes up and once right before he passes out again).

I will admit, we're doing a lot of things very differently this time around. With Colin, we put him in his crib from day one. I sat in the uncomfortable rocking chair to nurse him, and I snoozed while doing so. This resulted in a sore neck and not a lot of sleep. This time, we're going the co-sleeping route for the time being. We're getting more sleep and it's so lovely. We do have a pack-n-play next to our bed, but so far Ben hasn't slept in it for more than a few minutes. We're hoping that will change in the next week or so.

My milk has come in full force, with the same "enthusiasm" as with Colin. My body is slowly adjusting, but at times it is painful and worrisome. In the back of my mind, I'm constantly thinking "mastitis, mastitis, mastitis."

We've been using cloth diapers since our first day home. It's going well, but we've already decided to forgo the newborn prefolds for the next size up because Ben soaks a newborn size without a problem.

We have been out and about a little. My mom and I took the boys to Kohls last week, and treated Colin to a trip to an indoor playground as well. I took the boys to a co-worker's house last Friday so I could get a little friend time in. Colin and I went to Walmart by ourselves last night to stock up on essentials. I got a haircut today and nursed Ben under the cape.

Colin goes to daycare 3 days a week from about 8ish to 2ish. It's a godsend, especially since it's winter. I'm not sure how I'd do with him home all day every day during the winter. I'd go crazy for sure.

I should take advantage of my sleeping baby and at-daycare toddler and take a nap. Another update with pictures will come soon.

No comments: