Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pediatrician appointment

I took Ben in for his 2 week appointment waaaay back on Dec. 22. He was 2 days shy of being 2 weeks old. These were his stats:

Weight: 10 lbs, 0 oz (up 2ish lbs in 12 days) 87 %ile
*Today's weight is an estimated 12 lbs, which was Colin's weight at 2 MONTHS*
Height: 21 1/4 in (no change in 12 days) 76 %ile

I changed clinics and pediatricians. I just wasn't satisfied with the well baby checks Colin had at the family practice clinic near us. Since they're all family practice doctors, none of them are pediatricians. I was frustrated with the lack of specialized knowledge and support I received.

Upon HUGE recommendation by many co-workers and friends who also see him, I changed to Dr. C. He was the on-call pediatrician when Colin was born, so I'd met him before. He's so fabulous. He really took his time with Ben and I.

The clinic is much more kid-friendly too. The wait was super short. I had only circled the answers to the five development questions when we were called back. The clinic near us doesn't have toys in the exam rooms (granted, we can always bring our own but I often forget and "new" toys are always more interesting than owned toys anyway). The new clinic does. Colin has never been patient during appointments, so I'm hoping this will help him out, as well as Ben.

Anyway, Dr. C. said since Ben had gained 2 lbs already, he's "thriving" and not to let anyone tell me he's eating too much. A breastfed baby can not be overfed. He even noted the use of the Snappi on the prefold Ben was wearing and said how cool they are. In fact, the way he just carried on, I do believe he has seen a cloth diaper recently :)

So...healthy boy, great new pediatrician. This mama left feeling very fulfilled. Finally.

No comments: