Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Baby's First Car Accident

Happily heading home after work yesterday, I got into a lovely car accident. The man in front of me was turning in to DQ. His signal and his brake were a little late, but I was still in control with stopping until my co-worker rear-ended me. All I remember was hearing/feeling smash-bounce, smash-bounce, smash-bounce as I crashed and bounced between the two vehicles. All while feeling completely safe and calm while it was happening. I pulled over to the side, the man parked in the DQ lot, my co-worker couldn't get her van to run. It was leaking anti-freeze, and her airbags had deployed. I got out of the car to assess the damage. It's not good. The left headlight was gone, the left fender was dangling. The whole back end of my lovely Escape was no longer there. The hazard lights I had turned on were useless because there were no tail lights. In fact, my friend/co-worker Stacey called to ask me if that was P's (co-worker's) van she saw by DQ, and I said yes it was, and I was with her, and she had no idea b/c she didn't recognize my Escape.

Everyone's fine...The dude was okay, P's hands were hurting, I was worried mostly about the baby. I called Kev and he came. After the cop took stories, and the tow truck came to tow my Escape and P's van away, and several co-workers stopped to see if P and I were okay (so nice...), Kev and I went to the ER to check on the baby. While we sat waiting, and waiting, and waiting (even small-town ERs are ungodly awful in this department), I could feel the baby moving. The nurse came to check the baby's heartbeat (140 this time). I felt re-assured that baby was okay. But an unplanned ultrasound was the greatest thing that came out of the whole ordeal. It was so cool to see baby Rain moving and kicking and arching his back. I have pictures, but my scanner is broken, so I'll scan them at work.

As for the Escape...we'll find out today.
As for me...I'm sore today, and tired. I hardly got any sleep last light reliving the crash. And thank God we had chiropractor appointments previously scheduled for today. That's going to be wonderful.

2 comments:

leah @maritalbless said...

I still can't believe this happened to you! I am so glad/relieved that both you and baby Rain(a) are doing okay given the circumstances!

Enjoy your chiropractor appt . . . and you never told me you've felt the baby move!!!

stephie said...

That must have been really scary!! I'm so glad you and Baby Rain(a) are doing okay!!
I've got to e-mail you about your PC stuff...I left the info at home, but did give them a call.