Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Is that a donut or a baby?

People are starting to notice my bump. I know what you're thinking, "How could they NOT notice how fat you've become!" Right. Actually, I like to think I'm pretty good at hiding/covering it most days. Not that I try to anymore.

Two stories:

On Friday I was talking to one of the aides at school and another one, whom I've known for awhile now--we go way back to when I used to work at the YMCA and her kids were in the programs, approached me and said, "I heard some news about you today, and I talked to you earlier and you didn't say anything!"
The other aide chimed in, "What? What did you hear? Because I think I know what you heard but I haven't heard it yet."
Aide 1, to me: "Congratulations"
Aide 2: "I knew it! I was looking at you the other day during science, just staring at your belly, thinking, there's got to be a bun in there. So sorry if you thought I was staring at you, but I was just trying to figure it out." (apparently I didn't notice this gawk-a-thon)
Blah blah blah....

Today, a parent of a child I taught two years ago when she was in 2nd grade said to me, "What's new with Mrs. F?" The way she said it made it seem like she heard a rumor somewhere and was going to the source to get the scoop. I, of course, said "nothing's new" because I'm not ready to "come out" to parents yet, whether they're my students' parents or former students' parents. Well, that answer just wasn't going to cut it with her, because I knew she knew. So I pulled her into my classroom while her two sweet cherubs waited outside my classroom door, wondering what in the world we could be talking about. All I said to her was "Yes," and she said, "I saw you the other day and I thought, either she's had a donut or that's a baby in there." And I said, "Really? You can tell?" She replied, "only a little bit, and it's also in your eyes, like, "I've got a secret."" And she promised not to tell anyone. Then she said congrats, and touched my belly. Then, seeing two curious noses pressed against the glass of my classroom door, she rubbed my arm, and said, "What a pretty sweater!" As we opened the door, she said, "So where did you get it? TJMaxx?" "Nope, JCPenney." "Oh right. Ok! Let's go there and see if they have one in my size!" To which Faith, my former student, said, "You were in there talking privately about a sweater?!" Haha...I love that family.

Luckily none of my students have said anything yet, and I don't see parents often enough for them to start getting curious. That time will come soon, though. I'm sure of it.

1 comment:

leah @maritalbless said...

Lol at donut or baby! Oh my gosh, are you 16 weeks today?!