Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I'm home

I walked into school this morning, expecting to get through at least half the day before I needed to go home and sleep. Anyone who knows me knows that, for me, little sleep=lots of emotions, lots of crying. I was fine unless someone who heard about the accident talked to me about it. The principal found out what happened, and told me I needed to go home. There was already a sub at school who came in error, so someone was ready to step into my place.

The kids arrived and were all confused why I was so distraught and there were so many adults in the room (me, the sub, the counselor). After writing some sketchy lesson plans down for my sub who's never subbed before (God help her), I called the kids to the back of the room for morning meeting.

I told them that I had been in a car accident yesterday, and Ms. D. was also in the accident, and that everybody was okay. I went on to say that I wasn't hurt, that I wasn't worried about the other drivers because I knew they'd be fine, I wasn't worried about my car. What I was worried about most was another person that Mr. F and I like to call little Rain. At this point, most were confused, some got it. I pulled out my ultrasound picture and showed them, and it all sunk in with them. Then I heard, "Why didn't you tell us?!?!?!" Which I responded with, "I just did. I wasn't going to just let myself get all big and fat and let you wonder," which made them laugh a little. Then I explained the ultrasound picture to them...where the head, the belly, the feet, and the heart were...and passed it around for them to see. One student asked, "When did you get pregnant?" and another asked when I was going to have the baby. It wasn't the "fun" way I envisioned telling my students, but that doesn't matter to me anymore.

I've been trying to get some sleep, but it's not working. I may have to drink some warm milk or Sleepytime tea or lather on some lavender lotion to induce some zzzzzs. My right arm, for some reason, feels like I've lifted weights. It's sore when I lift it, and it has that achy-muscle feeling. And my lower back is achy too. I've been keeping ice packs on these parts, hoping it will help a little.

P's insurance is covering everything for the car, the ER visit, and even reimbursing my sick day :). Sick days are precious when April/May/June rolls around. We're not sure of the status of the Escape yet. Being a 2008, it still has a lot of value so it likely won't be totaled.

1 comment:

leah @maritalbless said...

Thank goodness her insurance is covering so much, including your day off! :)

Boo to the non-fun way to tell your students, but the u/s had to have helped a bit.

We should talk or email about DR.