Wednesday, February 18, 2009

In other news...

I know I just posted below, but I have so much to say today, that I need a separate post for it all. Just know I survived the day, even if my fuse was a little short at times with the kids. Eh, what can I say. I didn't need anyone slouching in their chair today. Sit up and listen to me, student! What I have to say is very important. Oh, and would you just do your homework for once? No more excuses! And you, stop with the monkey noises and grow the heck up. K thanks.

First off, I got my newborn-sized prefold diapers from Green Mountain Diapers today! Squueeeee!!! These should last until Rain is about 6 weeks old, but then they can be used for various other uses like spit up rags, doublers, etc. The 3 dozen I ordered should give me plenty to be able to do diaper laundry every other day. They need to be prepped now, meaning I need to wash them 4-5 times to shrink them and make them all soft, fluffy, and absorbent. I think that sounds like a lovely project for the weekend :) I also got my Snappi, which works kind of like one of those Ace bandage claw hook things and "pins" the diaper without pins. It's the green thing in the picture.


And if you think we're crazy for trying cloth, here's a little math for ya, if you're interested:
The 3 dozen GMD prefolds cost about $70, including shipping, and fit the newborn until he/she is about 6 weeks. After that, they serve other handy purposes and aren't just thrown away and forgotten about.

Pampers Swaddlers, size 1, 216 count costs $41.99 at Target. This supply will last a newborn about 18 days (2.5 weeks), if he/she goes through 12 diapers a day. I'd have to get 2+ boxes to last 6 weeks, so I'd be spending over $82 on something I'm just going to throw away.

Grand total savings in just the first 6 weeks: $12.
Granted, I didn't include the diaper covers I've bought (which total about $30), nor the Snappi ($2.50). Those all should last past that 6 week mark, though.

After the first few weeks, we'll decide if we like prefolds or if we'd like to invest in some fitteds (read: no prefolds involved) All-in-ones (read: no covers involved) or some one size diapers (read: one size diapers cost a bit more, but last until the kid's potty trained!).


This weekend, my hope and dream is that more baby room projects will get done. The extension jams for the windows and the bedroom door (which is GORGEOUS, by the way) have arrived. If Kev can get some help installing those (at least the door), we (ok, he) can put the trim around the windows, caulk and fill holes on the trim, and maybe...maybe even put the crib together!! Another SQUUUUEEEEEE!!!

Tonight, I will veg on the couch. I can't WAIT! I'm going to watch LOST, some AI, knit my newest project, and undoubtedly, an orange will be consumed. Tomorrow is another hectic parent-teacher conference night. On Friday we don't have students. Or Monday for that matter. YAY!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're going to use cloth diapers! I plan to also, IF I ever get to that point!