Sunday, February 15, 2009

Let there be light! and other fun stuff

We've had quite the productive, baby-filled weekend!

On Saturday, my parents came up here. My mom and I split off to do our thing, and my dad and Kev stayed here and did theirs.

The boys stayed busy crawling in the insulation-filled, sloped attic all in the quest to install the wiring for a ceiling light in the baby's room. See, none of the bedrooms or the living room in our house have overhead lights. They were just never installed. Hence, everything is light by lamp. It drives us batty. Today Kev and I went out in search of a light and found 2 of them for $20 at Lowe's. We put it up, and now the baby's room has some decent lighting. 1 room down, 4 more to go (eventually...)! And whenever the time may be to install some more wiring, we already have a light ready to go! The boys also ripped the shelves out of one of the closets and the trim off the window in the baby's room. A little deconstruction for some future reconstruction.

Meanwhile, my mom and I ventured across the border to pick up the crib at Babies R Us. After spending quite a bit of time there, we headed to Jessica's house to see Nolan. We had fun holding the sleepy little guy, and it was fun to see Jessica, too of course! The knitted afghan that is pictured in last Thursday's post is one I knitted for Jess and Nolan. My mom quilted a, hmm...let's call it a "floor quilt" for Nolan. It's just the right size to put on the floor for him to play on and roll around on some day. It was fun to hand over our handiwork :) My mom also had her first time experiencing using a Boppy. The next time I will hopefully see Nolan is in mid-March when he's 5 or 6 weeks old. I'm sure he'll look different even in that short amount of time!

After my mom and I got back, we all stuffed ourselves silly at Famous Dave's. The baby really wanted barbecue. It was delicious and hit the spot.

Oh! And one of my co-workers owns a doppler machine, and she lent it to me to use. I whipped it out yesterday so my parents could hear the baby's heartbeat. I think they thought it was pretty sweet.

This morning, Kevin and I went on a mission to look for a glider/rocker for the baby's room. We hit up 5 different furniture stores, hoping to find something that was a little less expensive than the Dutailier I had previously scoped out:

(Ok, not sure if this is THE model, but it's the colors I want it in). It has a multi-position locking lever, which I think is fabulous.

We were hoping to find something that we could use in the future that didn't look so baby nursery-ish. Two places had La-Z-Boy press-back rocker-recliners, so you could rock with the back reclined and your feet on the floor instead of up on the footrest. And, of course, you could pull the lever and recline with your feet up. I'm not sure how much I'd use that feature anyway. However, they weren't any less expensive than the Dutailier. The advantage to buying a La-Z-Boy is that it doesn't look baby nursery-ish when it moves to the family room (which, in reality, doesn't exist yet) someday. So, we're undecided about what we want to do, and we're back to the drawing board to do some weighing of options. Needless to say, our time is running out before baby comes, so we must think rather quickly, especially if the chair needs to be specially ordered.

Anyway, we got a lot done and I'm happy to be home lounging after walking around all day yesterday and today. Getting in and out of recliners today trying them out surely didn't help matters.

2 comments:

leah @maritalbless said...

Yay for light. I so feel your pain lady.

Gotta love Famous Dave's! I'm glad the baby enjoys it as well.

You didn't show which crib you decided on!

Let me know what you decide on a rocker, I'm hoping one is in our future as well.

stephie said...

Love the new look. Sounds like you had a great weekend and found some things to fill up the baby's room with!