Wednesday, April 8, 2009

38 Weeks: Leeks and Eeks

Our little Raina is still in there plumping up. She weighs about 6.8 lbs, and each day she gains 1/2 oz of fat! Raina is over 19.5 inches long, about the size of a leek. She has a firm grasp, which soon we'll be able to feel ourselves when she squeezes our pinky fingers. Her matured organs are ready for life outside. The vernix is most likely disappearing, but might stick around until birth. Her skin is becoming thicker and paler.

I think I'm making a bit of progress on Operation: Baby Evacuation. Every once in awhile, I feel a little crampage (on the pain scale, I'd give it a 2.5) and the infamous "lightening crotch," which gets more of a 6 on the pain scale, and luckily doesn't linger too long. I'm definitely getting more uncomfortable. Last night, after day one of "training" in my long-term sub at school, Kevin and I went to the grocery store. By the time we were done shopping, I was so miserable, tired, and crabby. When we got home, I laid on the couch and watched TV. Kevin did his duties to his pregnant wife and rubbed my back and did a load of laundry. Despite the fact that I'd really like to lounge on the couch all night, after tomorrow I'm making Kevin walk laps with me around the neighborhood until I'm equally as uncomfortable as I was last night. Oh, and I'm definitely at that point where I'm so very sick of wearing the same clothes over and over again. 

After seeing the pictures I took of the baby's room the other night, I decided I didn't like the arrangement, and we moved furniture around :) Nesting much? Naaahhh.

When today is over and my sub has gotten her 2 full days of observing, and if she still doesn't want to back down (she told me she wouldn't!), I'm both physically and mentally ready for Raina to make her big appearance. But that doesn't mean I'm letting my midwife strip any membranes at my appointment on Friday.

Stop back later today for a belly picture. I gotta eat some breakfast!

4 comments:

Courtney said...

So exciting! Can't wait to see pix of the little one!! Also, once you've had him/her & when you're not absolutely tired out, I'd love a post on your whole experience with a midwife!

leah @maritalbless said...

Um yeah, lightening crotch. No fun. At all.

I think of you throughout the day and smile, is that weird?

AJ said...

Leah, do you smile while the lightening hits your crotch and think "I'm so glad AJ's going through this too?"

AJ said...

C--I will post about my entire midwife experience just for you.