Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Crabby Day Vent

First off, I felt very...different this morning. I don't know if it was that longish walk we went on last night or what the deal was, but I didn't feel quite the same. That in and of itself was nerve-wracking.

Then along came my students. We're preparing for the 4th grade program which is this Friday. All of the 4th grade classes were practicing moving from the bells/chimes tables (they play a few tunes they've learned) to the stage. All my class has to do is "follow the leader" in order of their parts and walk up on the stage and sit on the second row of risers. They know the order. Do you think they can pay attention and tell their feet to move when it's their turn to get in line? No. Then they sit there, listen to a few other classes do their thing, sing a song or two, then it's our turn. All they have to do is "follow the leader," say their little part, "follow the leader" and sit back down on that second row of risers. Think they can do that? No.

So I told them that just our class would be practicing later in the afternoon to get the bugs out. They went off to social studies, and at 2:00, they came back in the room to fill out their agendas. I'd already told them that we're practicing even if it goes into recess. They know that recess is coming up at 2:15, but do you think they quietly sit down, fill out their agendas, and wait for instructions? No. They talk! Recess is their "currency" as Dr. Phil would say, yet here they are wasting time. Not my recess to worry about, but you know...I want them to go outside and they're not helping any.

Finally we got out to the stage, we go through the route once, as quick as I can possibly make it with the craptastic listening skills they're showing. When they're not paying attention to what's going on, I of course make them do it again. And then they get all huffy at me for taking time out of their recess. Eyes roll, "come on!" is said under breath, as if it's MY fault they have to do it again. I say, "You know, I might not be here tomorrow, and I don't want Ms. W. (sub) to have to figure this out. I want you to know it." And they look at me like, "why would Ms. W. be here tomorrow?" Ugh. Seriously. I know you're 10, but get a clue!

So we finished practicing at 2:30 when recess was over. The other classes were still outside, so I let them go out for 2 minutes, which was nice to just clear the air a little. Honestly, some kids and their attitudes. If they'd just pay attention and do it right the first time, they would've gotten a heckuva lot more recess. And I would've gotten more recess too.

No comments: