Monday, April 6, 2009

Shower and Nursery Update

On Saturday, I spent the afternoon with some of my family members at a shower. It was a small gathering, but that's the way I like 'em. My aunt, the hostess, put together a crossword puzzle that related to everything baby and this blog. Being the super sleuth I am and the author of this, I won. We had one of my favorite things to eat of all time, but unfortunately forget about and thus don't get it often--strawberry salad. Yum! We received the crib mattress, clothes, diaper bag, gift cards, blankets, knitted hats, crib sheets, toys, books, bath salts (for me!), etc. Once again, awesome stuff for the much-loved baby.

Kevin spent Saturday with my dad. He finished the trim around the windows and installed most of the clothes closet. There was a bit of a measuring snafu, and the drawers need to be tweaked a bit because the doorframe stops them from opening. So what you see here...where the basket is on the left...is where the drawers will go. The closet itself is still in the process of getting organized, but we're getting there! Oh...and we do have more clothes. The clothes shown are only the ones that came with hangers.
On Sunday, Kevin and I puttied and painted the nail holes in the trim, and then we went to Target and Babies R Us to purchase the things we need to have on hand when baby comes. We bought some pants so Raina doesn't have to come home half naked, itty bitty socks, plain white newborn short-sleeved onesies, a changing pad cover, a wastebasket for diapers, cheapie washcloths for butt wipes, hangers, thermal receiving blankets, a bathtub, and MY CHAIR! We went with the Dutailier. It's marvelous. The only thing I'm a *bit* disappointed in is that it looks so much greener under the flourescent lights at Babies R Us. In our house, it looks tan. Boo, but whatevs. The crib bumpers will be removed and possibly used as "curtains" to cover the closets. I just had to see what they looked like :)
Forgive the lack of wall decor. Once we know if we have a Rain or a Raina, we'll decorate the walls. I'm thinking of getting some paper lanterns to hang above the crib, for sure if it's a girl. If it's a boy, I'll have to do some more thinking. And I'll probably join the bandwagon and hang some letters that spell out his/her name. Or maybe some vinyl lettering/art. We'll see.

I did a bunch of baby laundry this weekend, which was SO FUN. I got the stuff I know we'll use washed, like the changing pad cover, the sheets, blankets, towels, washcloths, Boppy covers, and clothing essentials. I'm waiting to wash the rest of the newborn-sized clothes until I know Rain isn't a chub who won't skip them and go right to 3 month sizes.

I see only 10 of you have put your guess into the expectnet poll. 2 votes are from Kevin and me, and we don't count. What are you waiting for? Time is running short. My aunt thinks I'm having the baby this Sunday! There's no sign-up/registration or anything. Super simple. Takes 2 minutes. Dooooo it.

2 comments:

stephie said...

It sounds like you've got enough blankets to last you awhile!! Ha! The room is looking great too. Love ya.

leah @maritalbless said...

Wow AJ! The nursery looks amazing! And I'm super jealous of your glider. It simply looks comfy from the picture! :)