Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring Break Days 1 & 2

Monday
Bright and early in the morning, I started making some apple coffee cake. After a taste-test, I packaged a few pieces of cake up and Colin and I went next door to our neighbor's house. They're an older couple and adore Colin, so I thought it would be nice of us to stop by with a food offering. Colin loves to see them as much as they love to see him, so it was fun to visit. Colin and I headed across the border to stock up on some Curious George party gear. We got some plates, napkins, and cups with the curious monkey on them. The party store is next to Target, so of course we stopped in. I want to find a Curious George shirt. There were no George shirts to be found. I walked out of Target empty-handed (sacrilege, I know). When we got home, we had lunch, Colin took a nap, and then in the afternoon we played outside for awhile.

Tuesday
This morning, we went to the car dealership to have something fixed on the Explorer. Something with the speed control had been recalled, so we got that remedied. While we were waiting, Colin checked out a Mustang and I checked out the new Escape (those were the days...). We left there and got a car wash, then we went to the library for story time.

I wasn't sure how Colin would do at story time because he tends to be shy. Sandy does circle time every morning, so he gets a taste of sitting in a circle and singing songs and doing activities. Well, there are no stories at story time. It's songs and nursery rhymes and movements with noisemakers and scarves. Which is all great! Colin did pretty well. He just watched the other kids sing songs, but he did participate in the noise maker and scarf activities. He even walked up to the adults and received and returned the props himself. At the end, he walked up to the lady and waited patiently amongst the other kids to get a stamp on his hand. I was quite impressed :)

When we got home, we played outside for awhile, had lunch, and Colin napped. While he was napping, I tried out my cake decorating skillz. I have this grandiose plan that for Colin's birthday I am going to bake a cake (I am good at baking) and draw Curious George's face on it. So I made some frosting, loaded up a decorating bag, and free-handed George onto a circular piece of parchment paper. It turned out okay, but definitely needs to be tweeked. His face isn't wide enough and his ears are too elfish. And, obviously, I would use color and actually finish filling in the face. But I am quite impressed with the writing, seeing as it was my first time EVER.
I think I'm going to enlarge the picture I have of George and make a stencil out of it and draw it on the cake that way. The good thing is, Colin recognized it as George when he saw it.

After I was done putzing with that, I put all of the extra frosting into the refrigerator. No sense of letting all that yummy goodness go to waste, right? ;)

When Colin woke up from his nap, I got an awesome 20 minute snuggle with him, then we played outside until it started drizzling. We hung out inside for a little while, and then later on we went outside again.

I have had so much fun with my little boy these last two days and I have more fun planned for later this week. I love spring break. It is such a privilege.

No comments: